Seeking input re: Fromm Family Pet Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniador

Boxer Booster
Thanks for finding something without ethoxyquin. I haven't seen it in the stores, but will keep an eye open. I feed TOTW but avoid the fish varieties.

Thanks for so much good information!

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for finding something without ethoxyquin. I haven't seen it in the stores, but will keep an eye open. I feed TOTW but avoid the fish varieties.

Thanks for so much good information!

My pleasure. There are other foods on the market aside from Fromm that are ethoxyquin free (e.g., Orijen, Evo, Innova to name a few) but those formulas have higher protein levels and my previous experience with high protein kibble hasn't been great.

Also, if ethoxyquin is something that concerns you, you might want to check the ingredients on your TOTW bag. I know they have a formula called Pacific Stream which is obviously a fish formula, but I'm pretty sure their other formulas contain fish meal which IS preserved with ethoxyquin. TOTW doesn't add ethoxyquin to their kibble, but won't guarantee that the fish meal they get from their suppliers is ethoxyquin free.

BoxerMom999

Boxer Insane
We've been feeding Fromm to Maggie ever since Canidae changed their formula (she reacted negatively to it).

She is quite happy with it. We also add some other meat source to most meals. Currently we are feeding the pork and applesauce. The kibble is about the size of a thumbtack and it is fine.

Maggie often goes to a groomer's during the day while we are at work and the groomer carries food as a sideline. We purchase it there so it is quite convenient. They also make canned food and treats.

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
She is quite happy with it.

Yay! I knew I'd eventually get a response from someone currently feeding Fromm! Thanks for the info. I still have between a 1/2 to a 1/4 bag of TOTW left and I'm waiting for it to dwindle down a bit before I start mixing the Fromm and transitioning them. I'm sure they'll like it. I've never put any food in front of them that they haven't inhaled ;)

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
Update

Well, the verdict is in and my guys have given Fromm two very enthusiastic "paws up." I'm currently feeding their Four Star Nutritionals Chicken a la Veg formula and they go bonkers when it's meal time! In all fairness, they usually go a little crazy at meal times, but they never reacted to Orijen or TOTW like they do with Fromm. I actually had to get after them when I was dumping the food from the bag into the large dog food bin I have in my kitchen because they were both being possessive of the kibble and a mini growling/snapping match broke out. We had a few days of loose stools while I was transitioning, but I think that had more to do with the little stinkers getting into a swamp and drinking the stagnant and potentially bacteria infested water during a recent, off-leash walk.

We had issues with really loose stools when I tried them on Orijen and their stools improved considerably on TOTW, but still tended to be rather soft and difficult to clean up. Their stools are now well formed, firm, and super easy to dispose of. And I sleep better at night knowing that their food is 100% ethoxyquin free. It's a win-win for everybody :)

Status
Not open for further replies.