second male boxer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymax

Boxer Booster
Hi everyone! Well my hubby calls yesterday to tell me a lady at his work needs to find a new home for her 1 yr. old fawn boxer boy (Bruno) due to allergies. She got Bruno from her sister; were not too sure why she got rid of him. Well my eyes just welled knowing that this poor guy has had two families and is only a year old.
Apparently he has papers, shots etc. but is still intact.....I'm thinking he might be from a BYB. But apparenlty Bruno has a great personality, loving great with kids and other dogs. At our home we have a great boxer (Max) who is male, 3 yrsd old and fixed. We also have the sweetest girl skinkid (Grace 2.5 yrs) and one on the way in Feb. Am I crazy to add another to the family mix? My first reaction was we must get Bruno, but I'm anxious about how he will fit. We always wanted to get a friend for Max...any advice. If we do get Bruno, we'll get him fixed. Is there anything else we can do to ease him into our home and to ease Max into sharing his family with another? We're going to see Bruno this weekend and let him and Max meet. Thanks for the advice! Denise

sweetboxer

Banned
Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on! Poor little baby...he needs to find a forever home. I don't know if it's the same for males, but I know they say to never get 2 females b/c they'll tend to fight when they are adults. I honestly don't know if it's the same for males or not. I currently have a female and a male. I would like to get a third, but I'm not sure if I can b/c of fighting issues. I think it's a good idea to see how the two boys get along before bringing the other one home. You could even try doing a home visit, like they do with rescues, where the other dog is brought into your house and see how he reacts. I would think if he is comfortable doing both of those outings, he should be fine with your family. Just check into that male-male thing, just in case.
Good luck! I hope you are able to bring him home! You will definitely have a crazier house! Mine hasn't been the same since!

Two males should get along fine, provided that they are both altered. It's when you have two females that you may run into troubles as they reach adulthood. My opinion would be that if you let the two of them meet and they seem to get along well and you feel that this is a good time to bring another boxer into your home..... go for it!!

mjshap

Boxer Buddy
I've got two males (both altered) and with the exception of the older one getting annoyed because the younger one will not leave him alone when he is trying to nap :) they are perfect together. They always have to be where each other is....just too adorable. Good luck!!! The poor boy needs a forever home....I hope everything they say about him is true and you get an absolutely wonderful pup!

Oscar&Champ

Super Boxer
I have two males and when they both first met they were unaltered. There were a couple scruffles in the beginning (mostly due to the hard life and abuse Champ had been through and he just didn't know any better). But now they are the best of friends and I don't think I'll ever be without two. Good luck with the little boy!

CondoPup

Banned
If they have to get rid of the dog anyway, I think it would be great if you would try to take him on - if nothing else, you'd certainly be a good foster home until a permanent placement is found, and they may be too rushed due to the allergy situation to take their time finding a good home. But hopefully it will work out and he'll be a part of your family permanently!
I'd introduce them as suggested, and then make the neutering appointment ASAP. Aside from the males vying for status, you don't want the unaltered one to start marking, if you can help it. Neutering him ASAP will help reduce the likelihood of that.

mymax

Boxer Booster
Well we went and met Bruno this afternoon. He's a sweet little boy but he did not react to Max very well. The people who have him seem nice enough. They got him from a cousin and said he was always kept in a crate. He has no training and I don't think he's a pure bred. The papers they have for him is a typed up piece of paper quoting the price and that he's not to be breed. One on one he's a sweet dog who just needs some formal training, routine and lots of love but the way he reacted to Max I can't have that with a small child. If it was just me and my hubby we would but I don't want to take any chances. I told them about Ontario Boxer Rescue and how they could help to find a foster home and then a forever home but they seem more interested in getting some money for him. I feel just awful, I really wanted him to be a friend to Max and another love bug for us. Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.