Second Boxer -- Several Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLeath

Boxer Buddy
Hi all. For a while now I've been considering getting Dempsey (6 mos / 53 lbs / brindle / natural ears) a sister. He so seems to want to play with another puppy as he tries to coax our cat into playing with his toys all the time. The cat just ain't buying it though. So I've been in contact with the local boxer rescue and they've just taken in a white female (1 yr 4mo / approx 55 lbs / cropped ears). She's going to be spayed tomorrow and after a recuperative period she's all mine if I want her. Want her, hah! She's a cutie and very affectionate. She's very hyper for attention. Apparently she didn't get much attention at her previous home. It took me almost 30 minutes to get her to settle down and sit in my lap. Not a problem as far as I can tell because she'll get all the attention (and then some) when she comes home with us.

Now for the questions. I've been reading that introducing them on neutral ground is best and I plan on doing that. How about feeding time? Will they fight over food? Do I need to feed them separately? I've always left food out for Dempsey when I left for work but maybe I should stop doing that. Dempsey is still on puppy food (Eukanuba). Will that make the new girl fat if she occasionally eats some of his food?

I am planning on trying to get her on a Thursday so that I can take off work and spend at least four days with them while they adjust to each other. Suggestions? Is this long enough, should I expect any problems? I don't crate Dempsey and he has the run of a good part of the house and outside (via a doggie door) during the day. Will they be okay together after I'm not supervising?

Dempsey, while a little smaller than her and a lot younger, has always exhibited dominate traits. How will she react to that? I was specifically looking for a girl because I'd read that male/female was the best mix. I'd really hate for them to battle for top dog status. In the brief visit I had with her I didn't notice any dominate signs, just excitement.

These are probably easy questions for all you multiple boxer families out there but I've always just had one at a time and don't really know what to expect (or look for). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tleath,
Based on my experiences here are some answers:
1- Introductions- My trainer recomended we introduce with this method. One person comes in the house and puts dog A into a down in a corner of the room. You bring in the new dog and let it look around then let dog A up and let them get to know each other. This is similar to what wolves do in the wild and worked great for us.

2- Food. I use seperate bowls to avoid food fights, territorial issues etc. I do not recomend free feeding especially with two. How will you ever know who is eating what? The one way I can tell whos sick at my house is whose not eating. I place the dogs in a sit, prepare the food, place it on opposite sides of the room and release them. They both run to their own bowl and chow.

3-With two dogs I recomend you get "How to Speak Dog" by Stanley Coren. This book outlines body language and how dogs establish pack order. It should be easy to see who is top dog once you know what to look for. Top dog my mount the other dog, the lower dog will crouch and kiss the higher dog when greeting, the top dog is usually the first to go through doors and is allowed to choose toys. Make sure you reinforce top dog by feeding first, petting first etc. Dogs will sort things out but when we interfere to much is when the problems begin.

4- As far as free run...I think if the dogs have sorted out roles you shouldnt worry to much about fights. I would be more concerned that the rescue may not be ready for that.

Good luck! I will warn you that two are loud and a lot of work but tons of fun :)

Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I don't have any specific advice. I just wanted to say that we've had our new little girl for 3 weeks now. (She's 4 months and Jasper is 6 months.) So far things are going really well. I think maybe the gods were smiling on us because they get on so well. Sometimes I think it's just a crap shoot as far as personalities go. SO, this is just a GOOD LUCK. I hope you can get it to work, it's a lot of fun. (yeah yeah, work too, but it's worth it!)

karens

Boxer Insane
Ahhh free run, here's my two cents. It's something my rescue has had limited experience with. Personally, I would not try it right away. My hubby insisted on trying to break Spencer of the crate by giving him short stints of "limited" free run (unbeknownst to me). One night we were meeting some friends, and I knew we would be gone for a bit. An argument ensued and Spencer was left out, only to rip apart a chair. He obviously had so much fun, he could not be left out of site for two minutes, as he started on the couch. Hard lesson learned by my hubby, but at least no more arguments on weather to leave him out!

Good Luck!

Claudia807

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by TLeath
So I've been in contact with the local boxer rescue and they've just taken in a white female (1 yr 4mo / approx 55 lbs / cropped ears). She's going to be spayed tomorrow and after a recuperative period she's all mine if I want her.

Good for you! She sounds like a wonderful dog.

Now for the questions. I've been reading that introducing them on neutral ground is best and I plan on doing that. How about feeding time? Will they fight over food? Do I need to feed them separately? I've always left food out for Dempsey when I left for work but maybe I should stop doing that. Dempsey is still on puppy food (Eukanuba). Will that make the new girl fat if she occasionally eats some of his food?

Yes, introducing them on neutral ground is best. Sometimes that can be a bit tough to do because you'd really need a fenced area where you could introduce them off-leash. I have found that dogs may act really defensive on-leash, but are just fine off-leash. I have foster dogs coming and going all the time and I always introduce them one by one in my back yard (which is fenced). I let the new dog sniff around for a little while and then I let my Lucy out. When they are comfortable, I let my Karl out. Another thing is to be very casual about it. I think if you worry too much and coddle one dog or the other, the dogs will quickly pick up on that and then they may think that there IS something to get worked up about. As for feeding, you will want to feed them separately, at least in the short term. (I would be more concerned if the new girl had been a stray; dogs that have spent time as a stray often develop food issues).

I am planning on trying to get her on a Thursday so that I can take off work and spend at least four days with them while they adjust to each other. Suggestions? Is this long enough, should I expect any problems? I don't crate Dempsey and he has the run of a good part of the house and outside (via a doggie door) during the day. Will they be okay together after I'm not supervising?

I think it's great that you can take the time off. I have found that it takes a couple of weeks for a dog to be in my home before that dog really feels comfortable and before I have a true picture of that dog's personality. But you'll know fairly quickly how things are going to go. Both dogs are young - I bet they'll be just great together. I would not, however, leave them unattended together - at least not for a while.

Dempsey, while a little smaller than her and a lot younger, has always exhibited dominate traits. How will she react to that? I was specifically looking for a girl because I'd read that male/female was the best mix. I'd really hate for them to battle for top dog status. In the brief visit I had with her I didn't notice any dominate signs, just excitement.

I think the whole "alpha" thing is somewhat overrated. I recently attended a seminar on canine behavior and the behaviorist felt very strongly that the wolf model is not always as applicable to dogs as people like to think. I believe that dogs will try to get along under most circumstances. Honestly, I bet you will find that these two will be best friends in no time flat. Best of luck with your new addition!

Tom

Boxer Buddy
We brought, Kiki, a 4 y/o male in from rescue as a companion for our Kobo, 3 y/o female who we have had from 12 weeks old, she was my Christmas present from my wife and kids. Prior to that Kobo had terrible separation anxiety and was somewhat destructive when left out. Kiki had an incredible calming effect on her, we've had NO destructive behavior since. We feed them in separate bowls. He's a little overwight so he's on a diet and she doesn't always eat her dinner, so we need to see who's eating what. Food is not left out for them, bowls are taken up 30 minutes after they are put down. We do keep water bowls full all day.

Sometimes they rough house with each other, initially breaking the skin on occassion. This stopped and "no fighting no biting" will always stop what we consider too aggressive play.

She at 55 pounds is the dominant, he at 91 pounds tolerates it.

Best thing we ever did.

Sil

I have read all the replies to your questions and it seems every one has a differant answer for you, I think you will just have to feel your way through it, I have two females that get along beautifully,and love each other to death, I have never crated ,I am home most of the time, have no problems, they are usually pretty quiet also, unless someone comes to the door,well good luck let us know how you get along with the two, I am sure it will work out great, what dog would not want a friend with them when you are not there.

Mom to Holly 8 and Greta 4

Moonshadow

Super Boxer
more than one is more fun

You will have the time of your life, but not without a few obstacles.

We have introduced both a rescue and a pup to our very spoiled Nala. The problems were few.

I wouldn't, however, suggest free run of the house in pairs -- no matter who the pairs. My pup and rescue when they get together are quite destructive. The two old girls (3 and 4yo) do o.k., but they didn't at first.

Even if Dempsey controls the food at first, he will have to sleep sometime and your rescue will eat if she is hungry; and like mine, she knows how to survive. We also free feed our big dogs.

I have noticed some personallity differences in a rescue as opposed to a "one owner dog". Mine is a little more skittish and unsure of how you will react to the things she does. She buries food, especially at first, in her need to survive. She also immediately let Nala be the boss. She does move out of the way for her to enter first. She lets Nala have her food bowl if she wants it. She and the pup gang up to pick on poor bossy Nala.

However, two better friends you will never see. They are side by side all the time. If you let them off lead, they run in the boxer circles side by side. The are both very protective of their littlle brother, even down to fussing at the other if they play to rough. It is beautiful!!

I wouldn't change my multiple-boxer-life for anything! There will always be a passel of boxers in my home!!
fiestaicon

Karen -- best friend to:
Lady Nala - beautiful brindle boxer girl, four years old
Meta - special white rescue boxer girl, three years old
Rigo - our newest addition - beautiful flashy fawn boxer baby boy
2 Cats (Kahlua & Amaretto), 2 visiting cats, 3 his kids, 3 hers kids

Moose(at the bridge) & Sumo (stolen) - handsome brindle males

Status
Not open for further replies.