Seasonal allergies / itchy scratchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherLynnG

Super Boxer
Hey everyone! So I took Titan to the docs today and it ended up costing around $200 AND she's on health insurance so it normally would have been MUCH more. Anyway I found out the bumps on her skin were hives and so since her allergies are so bad he gave her a Cortizone shot. I also had to buy perscription food that breaks down all the protiens so we start from a clean slate to find out her food allergies. Ugggh...

I feel bad for my girl but am so happy we're on the road to recovery for these pesky allergies...the long...expensive road that is. ;)

If anyone is following the thread about the cut on her face I am posting the results there. The title is Cut on Titans Face I think...or just search posts by me...

Have a Happy Easter! I think all of our Easter Bunnies bring Benydryl! :D

Wiggles from Titan & Zeus!

SILLY6PAK

Boxer Insane
Jessie is much better this year now she is on allergy shots once a week. Theseason is early and I am holding my breath that she continues to do well. The oatmeal shampoo was also recommened by my vet.

Gronar

Boxer Booster
Well, Toots got so bad I had to take her into the vet on Sat. Antibiotics, steroids and some form of doggie antihistamine (can't remember the name) for her for 2 weeks. She looks and feels SO much better after just 2 days.

HeatherLynnG

Super Boxer
Well, Toots got so bad I had to take her into the vet on Sat. Antibiotics, steroids and some form of doggie antihistamine (can't remember the name) for her for 2 weeks. She looks and feels SO much better after just 2 days.

Hey there! Just curious, what vet do you use? We go to Banfield inside Petsmart because they have a great wellness plan. Although I'm always open to hear about new great doctors for my "kids." :D

Thank you!

Pattikae

Boxer Pal
I am having some of the same troubles with Sassie our 8 month old boxer. But it is just her feet. I originally thought it could be a food allergy but I have not changed her food. I googled itchy feet and the most likely culprit was food or yard irritants for dogs. She is licking her feet raw all around her toes and nail beds. I have started having her stand and rinse in a large pan of warm water every time she comes in from the outside but that has not helped. She is still licking and chewing her feet. I have tried Hexacaine spray from the vet and another spray that has a bittering agent in it to try to stop her from licking the Hexacaine spray off .. nope not working.. she licks it all off..and slobbers, she does not care lol...

I think it is a yard culprit, we have a large flowering tree in her backyard run and the flowers are all over the ground. This chewing and licking seemed to start with the first falling of these flowers in her run.

My question is what is the Benadryl pill dosage for her? I could call my vet but his office is closed today.. thanks

HeatherLynnG

Super Boxer
My question is what is the Benadryl pill dosage for her? I could call my vet but his office is closed today.. thanks

Our vet askes for Titan and Zeus to recieve two Benydryl in the morning and two at night. However, I really try to only use it when needed for fear of over-medicating. So, if Titan just has itchy feet I wipe them down and use her anti-itch spray because it may be food or environment thats causing it. (She eats Natural Balance Duck and Potato and it works wonders.) On the other side if she has a runny nose/eyes then its most likely environmental and I give her two Benydryl.

Bathing with oatmeal shampoo about once a week to every other week helps a lot too. Titan prefers cool water because warm water seems to hurt her tender paws.

Hope that helps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.