Scratches on Deeg’s eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie P.

Completely Boxer Crazy
I guess there is always a first to every thing for me, as I have never seen this happen to a boxer before. Deeg gets scratches on his eyes. I had to take him to the vet a couple of weeks ago because his eyes looked red and half closed. I was given an eye antibiotic to help him heal. He healed, but it has happened again. I think he gets these scratches because he gets the puppy zooms in our back yard. He runs wildly through our shrubs and must not shut his eyes quick enough. The vet said that it is because his lower eyelids sag. She said that a simple surgery to tuck-up his eyelids may prevent this from happening. The surgery would cost $375. I am fearful of "vet suggestions" these days because I recently lost my Magic due to an operation gone bad. I thought I had better investigate a little more and ask if anyone has ever heard of this type of operation before.

boxer

Boxer Insane
I've heard of it - but more commonly for 'cosmetic' reasons ;)

A simpler (or less risky) solution would be to remove the shrubs or to discourage him from running through them (thinking barrier of some sort) :)

magsp

Boxer Buddy
Eye problems/scratches

My dog, Leo, has this type of problem too. He was diagnosed with something called "entropion," which means his eyelashes curl inward. His problem is much worse in his left eye. His lower lid curls in worse on that one. From time to time his eyes get scratched from it, and he begins to squint or to hold his eye half-shut. It gets very red with some runny green goo (nice, huh?). I just take him to the vet when it acts up, and he gets this triple antibiotic ointment that helps right away.

I've heard of surgery for this condition, but only when it's really severe. Most dogs that have it only have a mild case and the ointment or drops help when it acts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.