1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrappy the Wonderdog!(long)

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Scrappysmom, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrappysmom

Scrappysmom Completely Boxer Crazy

We adopted Scrappy from the Humane Society in Boise, on May 5th 2006. I had to wrestle a huge labrador that I bet weighs more than me, to get at Scrappy( who had been listed on the internet as a boxer-mix) As soon as I got him out of the kennel, he kidney beaned and whapped me in the face with his tail!! A tail?!!! He met Katie, our Shepherd mix and they got along very well. At the adoption papers signing I was told that the person who posted his pic on the net listed him as a mix because of the long tail. They told me we adopted a "purebred brindle boxer" Frankly I don't care either way. He does have a long muzzle for a boxer but acts ALL boxer in his personality. Maybe when I figure out how to post pics with the correct pixels I will post and you all can tell me if you think he is full boxer or a mix.

Took him home and that night he snuggled up to me so tight, I could barely sleep! Next night, he was a little more secure and plastered only his bottom end next to me. Next night, just two paws, and the next, still had to be touching me with only one.

He was very destructive at first. We spent the whole weekend with him, but both of us had to go to work on Monday. That day we came home to a destroyed front doorframe! The next day, 3 destroyed blinds. (big seperaton anxiety). He freaked out everytime we left! We tried a training crate(large metal one used by a friend to raise a Rottweiler pup) Followed the instructions the Humane Society gave us, and Scrappy seemed to be OK and crate trained. Left for a while and came home at lunch to find the crate demolished and bars bent, Scrappy happily walking around the house! No more training crate!

The following day, I came home to a very unhappy Katie, and no Scrappy in sight. We had had a guest, Daryl, the weekend he was adopted, and he had closed the guest room window but had not locked it! After much searching, I found him on the roof of the house (He had opened the window, knocked out the screen, climbed up the eves on to the roof!!!) The fire dept wouldn't help me, nor would animal control! A very tall neighbor helped him back through a window.

By now, he has settled down. He just hides my shoes when I need them for work. Have found them on window sills, under beds, the cats bed and bathrooms! I occasionally find my favorite boots near my favorite chair when I get home! Sweet dog!!!!! Thank you to everyone for all the tips on training. We have used only positive reinforcement and Scrappy is sweet, loving, and trusting. Still keep the front blind rolled up so he can see out and not hurt the blind!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. Scrappysmom

Scrappysmom Completely Boxer Crazy

Thank you for the great advice! Scrappy(I forgot to say) is not a puppy, is 3 years old, and two when we adopted him. We tried the stage leaving, but only for that first weekend. We did ignore the bad behavior and praised him constantly for the good behavior! He has been just wonderful for a year!! Well, always wonderful, if not well behaved. We will take your advice when we get a puppy. Thanks!

3. crowpete

crowpete Boxer Insane

What a great story... Even if a few things got broke in the beginning ;) Its wonderful that you stuck with him and never gave up... thats all he needed... Someone to believe in him appicon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.