Scared....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmitty

Super Boxer
Keeping you and your husband in my thoughts. I, too hope the appointment goes well tomorrow. Hang in there.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
Chuck starts chemo on Monday. The doctor was very clear that this form of chemo doesn't cause hair loss and being sick for days like what immediately comes to mind when you hear the word. I know Chuck was very nervous about that. The drug they use is called Bendamustine which like everything else has potential side effects. But the prognosis is that this is a very treatable cancer, only curable with a bone marrow transplant. We can't count on that being an option until he goes through the 6 chemo treatments to see if those work as expected.

Trying to process everything is so overwhelming. Is this going to work? How much is everything going to cost? How long do we have?

I'm sure that we are going to get through this. I can't concern myself with money because the only important focus through all of this is my husband. I can't dwell on all the what-ifs because right now is all we can control.

Again, thanks to all the good wishes, thoughts and prayers. And thank you for listening to me! BW people are the best!

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thoughts and prayers for Chuck and you and your family. Hopefully he tolerates the chemo well :)

Keep your head up and don't panic. Just be there for him (even though I know its hard for you too) and make sure you do this together as a team. :)

Keep us posted.

DSmitty

Super Boxer
Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you and Chuck. I hope Chuck's first day has been a good one.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
Chuck did extremely well with his first treatment. But either the doctor didn't explain things well or I didn't pick up on everything. Each treatment will be for 2 days. The first day will be the long one. He has to have Rituxan and Treanda on that day. So yesterday was supposed to take 5 hours but ended up taking 8. He had a reaction to the Rituxan early on so they had to stop and get him back to normal before they could continue. The reaction to this drug is flu like symptons. He mentioned that he felt cold but the room was pretty chilly and he had on short sleeves so we didn't put much stock in it. Then his ears starting getting really red. When I asked him if he was hot, he sat up and his head looked like the end of a thermometer! So they had to shut it off, give him some steroids to get him back to normal, then start again. After that, he breezed right though. But because they have to give it slowly, it took a lot of time. This morning he had to go back for more Treanda but that only took an hour.

He was very hungry when he got home. I suggested he skip anything greasy or heavy and maybe just have soup for dinner, which he did. But not too long after he went back to the kitchen and came out with a ham sandwich. Then later he had crackers with red hot sauce!

So right now we are feeling extremely fortunate that he hasn't had any side effects and can go to work today. We can only hope that the treatments continue to be as uneventful as possible. Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers.

johann

Boxer Insane
I'm glad that his first treatment went somewhat uneventfully and hope the rest go even smoother.

DSmitty

Super Boxer
It's really good to hear that his treatment went well and that Chuck has his appetite! That's great! Now that they have some idea how his body reacts to the drugs, hopefully they will continue to be smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.