1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scared of my dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Zannie, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zannie

Zannie Completely Boxer Crazy

i have a akita lab mix who is bout 16-17 years old,the other nite he bit me in the face i have stitches in and on my nose and punctue wounds on my cheeks.he did not have rabies vac,i do limeted vacs and cuz his age i thought it would do more harm to him,so now we have to observe him for 10 days and i'n scared i dont think he knows us anymore its like a differant dog,he cant hear for awhile now and cant get around very good at all,just dont know what to do,our money situation is not good right now so i cant afford to isolate him at the vets i just dont know what to do....

2. sandy's mom

sandy's mom Boxer Insane

Wow, do Akita's normally live that long?

If he can't hear, you may have startled him, he may not have realized it was you. He may have some medical issues going on.
    Try not to be afraid of him, especially if you have never had a problem in the past... just give him a treat or two and remember he may not feel well.

Will they allow you to isolate him at your house?

3. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

I know you said money is tight, but you really should have a full senior work up done. More than likely, there is something going on medically that has caused his change in personality. Depending on what it is, it could be an easy, inexpensive fix (thyroid issue) or something serious enough to consider if helping him along to the rainbow bridge might be the kindest thing (brain tumor...). Or it could be something in between. And if it is medical, he has no idea that what he is doing is harmful. Whatever it is, you won't know unless you have him checked out.

4. Zannie

thanks for the replys,no they do not live this long wich might be the problem he is just wore out and i should have had him put down long ago but its so hard..i have had the vet look at him and he has had bad hips for along time but we were giving him remadal for them and he seemed ok but the day he bit me he was acting off now in hine sight i should have known something was wrong,,after the bite he acts like he dont even know us i think his mind is gone,,we put him in our basement ,made him a bed and realy made it nice for him i just cant trust him around us or my other dogs and i do feel alittle better knowing we are all safe,,but i keep going over the bite in my head and i cant sleep i've been sick to my stomach its realy been one of the worst things i've ever been threw and i have stiches inside my nose that hurt and i cant breath out that side,in 8 days he'll go to the bidge and be pain free and hopefuly we can have some peace..

5. Zannie

i will be there when he passes its all set up and i dont think you understand that his mind is gone he stares at us and if we get to close he growels,i have been with him from a 8 week old pup and took great care of him i realy feel i gave him a great life as he did me but i cant get bit again i go check on him all the time and i talk to him but i cant touch him or get two close he dont know who we are anymore the dog i had is no longer thier,,and i choose to keep him in our basement cuz its nice and cool ,i think its alot better than at my vets where the health dept. wanted us to take him ,i could bare the thought of him in a kennel ..he actuly looks content down there its quiet and our basement is not a dirt hole its finished and nice so realy its the best for everyone

6. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I just want to say I am sorry you guys are going through this. I know how it feels when you are bitten. I was bit by a foster once (not as bad as you) and it takes a long time for that uneasy feeling to leave. And even now I am much more cautious around any dog. It totally sucks that after all these years it has to end like this. But it sounds like you have made him comfortable and if he isn't feeling well then he might just want to be left alone anyway. If he still has an appetite maybe you can make him some extra special meals over the next few days. That is a nice safe way to show him some love & make his next few days more enjoyable.

7. Zannie

yes i will make him something special thanks,i will pick him up some bullysticks too

8. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Bully Sticks are a great idea too. And for the special meals my dogs always love scrabbled eggs w/ cheese! But really dogs love just about anything, so I’m sure you have lots of ideas. Keep us posted.

9. Zannie

Dakota is doin good today,i took him out for a short walk and was able to spend nice time with him(a walk in our yard) petted his head alittle and he had a pig ear..i just want him to know he is and was loved very much..its hard to believe next fri. will be his last day..i heard a story bout our pets waiting at the gate for us thats a nice and kinda sad thought...

10. johann

johann Boxer Insane

How are you doing Zannie? Been thinking about you and Dakota this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.