1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sardines question

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Bers, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bers

Bers Banned

My local grocery store carries two types of sardines, one is boneless/skinless in soybean oil, the other has bones/skin and is in olive oil. I got the ones in olive oil because I thought it would be better for him than soybean oil, but I didn't realize about the bones and skin. I opened them up last night, and almost gagged. They were whole little fish with the heads cut off!! :eek: I poked around in there and didn't see any bones, so they must be pretty small. Anyway, I gave him one and he LOVED it (my cats each got one and thought they were in heaven, too). My question is are these kinds of sardines good for him, or should I be giving him something else? I've never even seen a sardine before, so I didn't know what I was doing. Also, they were lightly salted, and I'm not crazy about giving him anything with salt in it. What do you guys think? I also tried frozen banana slices which I heard about here, and he really liked those, too. :)

2. nanabear

nanabear Banned

The bones won't hurt him, they've been cooked until they are soft, pliable and digestible - also they are tiny.
    You might consider rinsing them in a strainer if he has any problem with the oil and/or salt (though I bet he won't).
    I use canned mackerel, it's cheaper than sardines and packed in water.
    Mack and Lulu LOVE fish - tonight (Thursday) is fish night.
    I sometimes make "Mack's (world famous - giggle) Meatloaf with mackerel I buzz up in the blender. It stinks to high heaven but the dogs think it's better than chocolate.
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9362

3. Amanda22

Amanda22 Boxer Booster

I actually buy the sardines (with skin and bones) packed in water. I just checked and the brand I have in my cabinet right now is called Beach Cliff.
    Emma loves them but they do smell horrible and are pretty creepy looking!

Amanda

4. Bers

Bers Banned

I went back to the store today and found the Beach Cliff brand sardines packed in water. I didn't give him any though, because as soon as he heard the can open he got nasty with the cats. He doesn't think they should get any! Maybe they will get some tomorrow, and he won't! That will teach him not to be so greedy!! nonoicon

5. Iaboy

Iaboy Banned

Sardines are great! Max loves them, and I do too, but I like them with saltine crackers. Have a great day. I may have to try anchovies with him!

Bob and Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.