1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad and broken.

Discussion in 'Stories' started by beaner, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaner

beaner Boxer Pal

My wife and I dopted a big boy, one and a half year old, from boxer rescue Quebec the past January. When we got him, he was extremely stressed out and had lost a lot of weigh. But he was such a nice dog we couldn't understand why someone would leave him. He and our female became buddies and had rough play sessions at least 3 times a day. He was just a great dog.

Of course he wasn't perfect. He'd sometimes chew up stuff if left alone or with our girl for too long. And sometimes, he didn't like other dogs. But we were working on it and we didn't mind so much. He couldn't get at anything important.

We have a daughter, she 2 and pretty rambunxious at times. He'd shown some signs of being a lilttle impatient around her. He didn't like it when she tried to push him off the couch or if she got on top of him. But never did more then growl a little. He was such a "vocal" dog, constantly growling and moaning, we didn't take it seriously...that was our mistake I guess.

Yesterday, he bit my doughter in the face. Not very hard, but enough to break the skin in one spot and leave many red marks on her cheek. She wasn't sitting, or walking on him. She just slid between him and the backrest and pushed him a little off the couch and he reacted. I think she was trying to give him a hug. I called Boxer Rescue and dropped him off a few hours lator. He's now at a foster home.

My wife cried all evening. I broke down when we closed the Boxer rescue's woman's truck door. Our other dog was looking for him in the house last night and this morning. We're just all heartbroken....he was such a great dog.

I hope he finds a nice home. He still really deserve's it. And now I feel really guilty. I keep thinking of things maybe I could have done to prevent this. I feel like a bad dog owner. But at the same time, I can't take a chance that there might be a next time. This really sucks.

Anyway. sorry for whining like this. I just felt like talking about it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. sandy's mom

sandy's mom Boxer Insane

Don't feel so bad. Some dogs just don't need to be around kids.
    Maybe he was abused in the past by kids. Sometimes kids abuse dogs and don't even realize it. Or maybe kids just made him nervous. You may never know. I hope this hasn't made your daughter afraid of dogs. Sometimes it will.

I am sure the rescue will find him another loving home. They are really good at placing them in good homes.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.