1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

runny poo

Discussion in 'RAW Feeding' started by kathysboxer, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I have a puppy (got 2 of them now, brothers) who is almost 4 months old. I have had him on raw since early puppyhood. He was doing great on it, using chicken as my main protein with a bit of pork necks as RMB. His poo looked great.
    Then one day I came home, and he had the runs. It continually got worse to the point of where it was like water shooting out.
    I tried increasing his bone, giving him 2 chicken backs per day in addition to the pork neck and a chicken thigh. The only thing different I did was add an extra chicken back into the meal. This was all divided into 3 meals per day. He was eating approximately 20-23oz per day. His ideal adult weight will be at least 70-80#. I tried turkey as a main protein source to no avail, and omitted the chicken/pork.
    It didn't clear it up after a week on this, so I took him to the vet. They checked his poo, no parasites, no worms, etc. He was also checked for parvo (he's had his shots prior to this appt) and it was negative. They put him on Flagyl and it helped for a while.
    So now I have him on TOTW, and his poo is like a thick pudding consistency. The vet seems concerned yet. He is continually gaining weight, eats no problem, and is drinking peeing as normal.
    They aren't thrilled he was on raw, which I would love to get him back on it. They are thinking it could be colitis. Is it possible to have colitis on a raw diet? The vet wants to put him on Science Diet ID if it doesn't clear up.
    His body type is very lean, and he is very active. He does have a small spot of mange on his hip, which I managed to catch very early, so I am going to give him some sardines, vit. E and such to hopefully improve his immune system.
    Any ideas? I am wondering if I should worry about the "pudding poo" when he seems perfectly healthy, or is this something I should worry about? Mike says as long as he's eating, and is healthy, it could just be his type of poo at this point in his age.
    His brother has normal poos and is eating TOTW also. I know each dog is different. I really don't want him to have to take medications unless it is absolutely needed.

2. argosrocks

argosrocks Super Boxer

have you tried increasing his fiber to firm the stools up?ie. pumpkin(canned,not pie filling),or psyllium ,etc..dont overdue it though,it can have a reverse effect causing more runny poo,start slow,a tablespoon per meal or even less,like a teaspoon,if this doesnt work after trying various sources of fiber,you can then move on to the next theory.

3. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I had thought of pumpkin (have tons of it here from my pumpkin rolls LOL) but don't know why I dismissed the idea. I guess I was thinking fiber would "speed things up". I was thinking in the lines of when we need to "loosen up" we eat more fiber. I had thought that when I was boiling him chicken and rice. I ran out of rice, and used old fashioned oats in a pinch.
    The flagyl seems to be helping, but I don't want him to be medicated unless I absolutely have to. I prefer to use natural ways to heal their bodies.
    Like I said, if he was losing weight, or no appetite, I would be worried. I had him at the vet 2 weeks prior to this past visit (this past Sat.) for runny poo, which was very nasty.They did an xray and found no blockages, and had tested him for parvo. And I didn't even take him for the poo. This visit wasn't for his poo, it was for a really bad cough he has (going to post about that in a couple min LOL) but the vet recalled seeing him a couple weeks prior and asked about it.
    So, not sure if that means medically he's in the clear or not. There was talk about having his barium (is that right?) checked if it doesn't stiffen up.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. griffdiz

griffdiz Boxer Booster

At my work we often use barium on dogs that have vomiting and/or diarrhea. It is a white liquid used in xray studies to see how/if things are moving through the gastrointestinal system. It is really soothing to their stomachs and helps a lot. I know we all hate Hill's but I have to say when I have seen dogs that get bad diarrhea, canned w/d is amazing. If you get desperate you could do it just for a couple days and then try to transition him back to the raw or TOTW.

Also, I have seen boxer colitis mentioned on this site a lot and the only treatment seems to be Baytril. Have you tried that? I don't know much about it so that's all I can offer on that.

When Griffin was eating raw he had nasty diarrhea on several occasions. I felt so bad for him because it was always in the house so I knew he couldn't hold it. One time he did it in my closet and then tried to cover it with clothes! I always wondered if sometimes there maybe could just be some kind of different bacteria or something randomly in the raw to cause the diarrhea.

5. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thank you so much for all the information!! I honestly wasn't sure at barium was, and was going to research it on Sunday when I had a day off.
    He seems to be doing better. Yesterday was his last day of flagyl, and his poo has been better. Someone mentioned about using pumpkin, so I have also been giving him small amounts of that. I am giving him a teaspoon per meal. I also noticed as long as I feed him 1 cup to 1 1/4 cups of food at a feeding, he does much better. So he is fed 3 times a day, and no more than the 1 1/4 cups of food at each. He is very slender, and is a garbage truck LOL. Buster only seems to want to eat 2 times per day, and about 1 1/2 cups-2 cups at that feeding. He isn't slender like Atlas, but more muscular. Atlas actually weighs a pound more than Buster LOL.
    I would like to resume the raw feeding, but I think I'll hold off until he's a bit older and see how it goes. Probably when he's around 9 months or so. The food I get him is organic, and "home grown" so I know there are no chemicals used :)

Keeping my fingers crossed this week that he continues to improve :D

6. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Ok, is it possible that some dogs just can't eat raw? He was doing better on the TOTW lamb, but of course I had to try the raw again.
    Yesterday I fed him his usual breakfast (7am, 1c. kibble w/1tsp pumpkin) and for supper, he got a chicken drumstick. I did forget to take the skin off, my bad. This was around 6pm. By 7 pm, he was outside with runny poo. I am beside myself trying to figure this out. I would prefer they eat raw, as they enjoy it so much more, and it's better for them.
    On the kibble, he seems to be famished all the time. That will be in the feeding forum.
    Should I continue to try raw, or just admit defeat and feed the kibble? They are only eating 2 cups/day of kibble and are raiding the garbage. They try to eat food anywhere they can. Buster is now trying to counter surf, and when he was eating raw, he never did this.
    Could Atlas have pancreatitis? Is there anyway to tell? When he poo's there is a mucus type stuff in it.

7. griffdiz

griffdiz Boxer Booster

Usually if they have pancreatitis there will be some vomiting involved, but if it is a concern of yours the vet can do an in office snap test to determine if he has it. It may have just been the skin that caused the diarrhea, or maybe he still just needs time to transition again. Griffin did well on raw for the most part, but when I tried to put Nija on it she had diarrhea. I gave it some time, but when it turned to bloody diarrhea we went back to kibble. I was just not comfortable with keeping her on the raw. If you are willing to try still, I would just stick with the chicken for a week (no skin of course). Then see if the diarrhea is still occuring. Let us know!

8. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

The thing that has me confused is he had been on raw since he was 6 weeks old, no problem. Then at about 10 weeks, he was given I believe quite a few treats one day, and it's been down hill since. Step DD did it when I was at work. I was furious!! Since that day, his stomach has been on touchy ground.
    Buster just went poo, and it is perfect. Not sure about Atlas yet. Keeping fingers crossed :)
    Atlas hasn't poo'd since this morning. Not sure if that's good or not. It was a thick pudding this morning.
    Mike had given him a chicken drumstick with skin removed this afternoon around 12:30 for a snack. Here's to a good poo later ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.