1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running (jogging)

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by jenniemitchell, Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenniemitchell

jenniemitchell Boxer Booster

I've read that it's not a good idea to go running with a puppy until after 9 mos., because their bones are still soft. Any opinions on this?

The way Diablito tears about the yard, I find it hard to believe a little jogging with his old mom could hurt him :LOL: .

2. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

3. Bicki

Bicki Boxer Pal

I asked my vet (who's also a runner) about this recently and he said it's ok so long as we took a hip x-ray first.

4. Jim Cummins

Jim Cummins Boxer Buddy

Running With Your Boxer

I also talked with my vet. She told me that as soon as Zoe wanted to keep up or go as far as I did (wich is only 2 to 3 mi. depending on time or mood) she would do fine. The vet checked her hips and asked what the breeder said about hip history. Some people want to keep thier pups in a glass kennel till they reach 18 mo. IMO.
    I worry myself about hips, cancer, eyes, ears,heart, mange, choking, someone stealing her I could go and and ON!

I dont have the speed or energy to keep up with a 6 mo. old pup, she runs me ragged. My jog to her is a lazy trot!

If the vet says the hips are good have fun take them for a run see how they do. Zoe and I woud go for a walk when she was 3mo. walk a block then jog a block when she was tired she let me know heck she'd sit down and look up at me as if to say ''thats it poppy I'm done!'' then thats it. Man thier stubborn!:p

I hope my opinion helped I'm no expert by far but I love my little girl and want her to grow up healthy and happy. Worry gets you nowhere and fun gets you a happy pup! Get them checked regularly and those x-rays would be a comfort too.

Zoe queenicon 6mo. brindel girl
    docked not cropped

5. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

I waited until Rowdy was 9 months old, but the biggest reason was the Texas Summer heat. It was bad enough on me, but since dogs can't sweat to cool off, they are much more succeptible to heat stroke. + they have fur and their body temp is already 101 degrees anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.