Rufus was attacked today

Status
Not open for further replies.

amymboxer

Boxer Booster
Well, today was an interesting day. At dog training class today Rufus was attacked by a Rottweiler. We were in the advanced class with Roxy and I brought Rufus along too. The trainer was demonstrating with Rufus when the Rottie lunged from behind. The owner wasn't holding the leash and seemed very stunned that her dog was attacking Rufus and didn't move very quickly to intercept her dog. The trainer was also bit by the dog in the process.
He had Rufus by the back, pulling on his skin and shaking him back and forth. The trainer kept turning to try and block the other dog. I think we all were a bit stunned by the whole thing.
This Rottie, Rommel is a beautiful imported German dog and is normally very even tempered. It was odd because I think I was so shocked that it didn't hit me until later. It was only a couple hours afterward that it really hit me. This other dog had his basic training with a different trainer over at Petsmart and came to our class for her advanced work recently.
The trainer apologized and and said it was partly his fault. He wasn't paying as close attention behind him. He has only had 2 other instances in his last 25 years of training and I think if I had Rufus things may have turned out worse because I would not have been able to handle the situation as well. Both the trainer and owner offered to pay my vet bills, but I think fortunately the injuries wern't too bad.
We had a vet and her tech in our class take a look. There are teeth scrapes but no pucture wounds. They said he would be sore tomorrow because Rommel pulled on Rufus's back so hard. It's a touch puffy.
Roxy had to watch the whole thing and then when Rufus came back she sniffed his injuries and seemed very concerned.
So tonight he's playing gently with his foster puppies.

My vet and the one at the training class told me what to do for treatment.
I think he'll be OK. He just seemed a bit more subdued after the attack but not fearful. Although my nerves are I bit shot for now.

hanley

Boxer Insane
Amy,
This is awful, poor Rufus may be traumatized by the attack. He may never want to go back to training. Give him a hug & a kiss for me & I'm sending healing vibes his way!
Hanley

bucksteemom2

Boxer Insane
Wow! That is so horrible for all of you! How hard that would be to watch your baby be hurt!! Please give him extra hugs and kisses from us:) We are sending prayers of healing your way. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
Kisses from Buckeye, Steeler and Mommy Amanda

Maxwell's Ma

Boxer Insane
Oh that is so bad!! How traumatic for everyone involved. It just tells us that we have to pay attention to our babies at all times. I am sure the rottie was giving off signs that he was having a problem.

Hope your baby is feeling better today. Sending healing & peaceful ((((VIBES))) your way.

sweetboxer

Banned
Poor Rufus...I hope he is feeling better today. How awful for you all...I can't believe that owner didn't see that the Rottie was having a problem. They just don't lunge unexpectedly...Raiden, Colby, and Skye send lots of feel-better wiggles...

Brynn1508

Boxer Insane
aw please give a hug and boxer kiss(from bradlee) to Rufus... Please keep us posted as to his progress.

Hobart Ave.

Boxer Insane
Poor Rufus! That's so scary. I hope he has a much better day today and gets all the relaxation and pampering he needs :)

ChpprsMama

Boxer Booster
Poor baby!!! Chopper sends get well wiggles & kisses. You seem to have held it together much better than I would have. I would have been hysterical. When my miniture poodle was attacked by a Grane Dane & a dalmation mix, I was a basket case for about 3 weeks.

ZOE*BOXER

Boxer Insane
Good job, Rufus! You did so well and were so brave. I hope you are feeling well soon, and don't let that Rottie scare you from others. You stay tough for your Mommy as she is worried about you.

amymboxer

Boxer Booster
Thanks for all your healing vibes. Rufus seems to be OK today. He doesn't seem to be that worried about his scratched up back and is his happy old self today. I havn't walked him yet, but since he seems to be doing just fine, I think I will take him out today. He's a pretty strong-natured guy so I think he will bounce back just fine.
Part of the reason I stayed calm is that I heard it was more traumatic for the dog if you make a big deal out of it than if you stay calm, check them and quietly move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.