1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocky

Discussion in 'Stories' started by vitalsignusa, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

I haven't posted in almost a year. As many of you may know we lost our first rescue Sawyer to cancer 1 year ago in August after almost a year of cancer treatments. Being on the board just reminded me too much of our boy Sawyer. We had Luna and she kept us on our toes. Well, my brother-in-law heard from another firefighter that he was looking for a home for his sister's Boxer. Her husband was being shipped out and would be on an aircraft carrier for the next year or so. She, in the meantime, has three children (all under the age of five), three cats, two dogs and has to sell the house and move to SC all by herself. I truly felt bad for her. So I got as much info. as I could and arranged a meet-and-greet. I brought Luna and we met on neutral territory to see how it would go. They got into a few tussels while he pronounce himself the alpha dog. She submitted but only to a point. When he tried to bully her too much, she fought back and set him on his ear. He was great with the kids and myself. I had his owner follow me to my house so he could see where the dog would be living. It was obvious that he loved his owner and vice versa but it was heartbreaking to watch the goodbye's. The first day he came home with me I took him for a ride to the store and a woman asked me what was wrong with him! He's only been here three days but we're working hard on getting him into a schedule, sleep in the crate with the door open (right now we have Luna upstairs in my daughter's room) they both go outside as soon as I get up at 5:00am., drink, a little bit of play and then Mommy is off to work. Hubby comes down lets them out again at 6:00am and the gets ready for work. He goes in the crate with the door closed and Luna has run of the house until I get home at 3:30pm. They both go outside, play, do their business then they come in and eat, drink, go back outside 1/2 hr after eating, do their business and come in and play Mommy. They are not at the stage where they are comfortable playing with each other yet as they are still having issues with the dominance thing as well as a jealousy issue. They are learing to share me and the family with each other as well as toys. We hang out downstairs and at bedtime its time to start all over again.
    My problem is this,...he's a bag of bones. They said they kept changing his food but this is borderline ridiculous. I can see every vertabrae, every rib. I couldn't have left him there if my life depended on it. I'm trying to fatten him up. He bolts down his food like it's going to be ripped away from him any second. I have an appointment with the vets for both he and Luna on the 29th but I don't want her thinking that this was done by me!
    My husband was back and forth as far as whether or not to get another dog. I truly believe he went into a depression when we had to put Sawyer down and only after I brought Rocky home did he show signs of coming out of it (although he'd deny that he was ever depressed). I will keep everyone informed of how things go with our new boy.

2. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thank you for taking care of the poor baby. I read your other post, so I will not give any advice on this one. Just wanted to say thank you and I'm sending healing vibes your way.

3. crowpete

crowpete Boxer Insane

Glad to hear that you gave Rocky a home... and one he will be happy and healthy in. I am sure things will calm down and begin to go smooth with both your babies. Hope the vet check goes well. Keep us posted :)

4. BoxerMom999

BoxerMom999 Boxer Insane

Kudos to you for rescuing. Please keep us informed of your babies' progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.