1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringworm!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Eleonora II, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleonora II

Eleonora II Boxer Buddy

Bud-Bud has been diagnosed with ringworm yesterday! Poor little guy he looks so sad. He especially has it around his mouth. He got some pills - 4 in the morning, 4 in the evening and a special one weekly, plus a lotion to apply in the morning and a Candistan spray at night. He goes bunkers when I try to apply the spray (he hates sprays in general) and equally when I try to apply the lotion. My husband has to really hold him down with the leash and on top of it via his neck otherwise he just goes crazy and start growling at me and showing me his fangs. Strange enough it doesn't seem to bother him nor does it seem to itch. Thanks God for that. The vet told me that he may have caught it because his immune system might be a bit weak - Buddy had a little operation to remove a split nail and had after that a terrible diarrhoea for 3 days.

I've done a lot of reading and I'm kind of scared now. Is there anything else I could possibly do for him? Is there something instead of the lotion and the spray? I was thinking of giving him a shower with Citeal which is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and which we use for our hands? Any ideas and/or tips are most welcome. Thanks a lot.

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

The only suggestion I had after reading your post is to spray on your fingertips then apply. I would think it's the spraying sound and the cold liquid that may upset him. So applying it to your fingers first then wiping it on may help.

I got ringworm from my cat when I was a kid. Cat had to be put down cause the meds were so expensive back then. Glad to hear things are available now! I sure hope he heals up with little problems.

3. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

I'd just keep up with medicine. If you get it I recommend Lamisil athletes foot cream. I used to get it all the time when I managed a horse farm. I think my boston terrier and I passed it back and forth for awhile. I've even had it on my face. The lamisil seemed to work the best....

Oh yeah, and it never really itched.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. Eleonora II

Eleonora II Boxer Buddy

Ringworm

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Lilylarue: I followed your advice and put it on a cotton pad. It works OK and he takes it “stoically” on the spots which are not red anymore. The raw ones he still makes a fuss but it’s much easier to apply. He gets a lot of padding and treats and I start having the suspicion that he puts up a show to get more cuddling and treats ;-).

Harleyboxer: He gets Lamisil pills but I followed your suggestion and got the crème too. It’s fine with him where he can’t lick it off. As for the passing back and forth: we’re very careful not to get in physical contact with him right now other than our hands and so far it worked (although is tough on all of us as we’re all very physical). I hope it stays that way as this is the last thing we need ourselves!

Two questions though and maybe you can advise: do the little bald spots he has now disappear after a while (I forgot to ask the vet)? Compared to the frightening pictures I’ve seen in the net Buddy looks beautiful as ever but still … he’s got a few spots around his mouth and three behind his ears which make him look awkward.

What do I do about his bed and the house? I’ve read that one should disinfect everything (carpets, curtains, clothes, etc.) and best to steam the house?? He needs a new bed anyway and naturally I wash and keep changing the covers where he lays around but the rest seems to me overdone. I hope to hear a reasonable middle way from you, Harleyboxer, as you seem to have quite some experience. Thanks for any ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.