1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews on Costco's Kirkland Premium Dog Food

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Cayman's Mom, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cayman's Mom

Cayman's Mom Boxer Booster

We were at Costco yesterday and looked at the ingredients for the Kirkland (costco brand) Premium Dog food. The list started with Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice.

The bf and I were wondering whehther this could be used as well?

We currently feed Cayman Innova... and there's much more "wholesome" ingredients such as cottage cheese and tomatoes listed - but the questions is for the price difference (40lb for $17 of the costco brand versus $42 for 33lbs of Innova) is the Innova really worth that much?

Before we even try the switch , we were hoping to get some feedback from the board.

Thanks!
    Sandia

2. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

We have been feeding the Kirkland Premium brand for about 6 months after using Canidae, Innova and Chicken Soup. Jazz does really well on it, and the only negative I'd heard is that the filler beet pulp is one ingredient (not near the top of the list though).

3. Cayman's Mom

have you noticed any changes in her coat or her general health?

it's just SO much cheaper - i don't know that the innova is worth 23$ more.... ya know what i mean?

4. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

Here's a previous thread I found about it http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64139

The post made by Kassa is worth noting. Even though chicken and chicken meal are the top two ingredients, three of the top five are grains...
    Dogs are carnivores/omnivores/scavengers, but grains don't form a part of their natural diet (they have little nutritional value either, since dogs don't digest them easily). In general I'd avoid a food with a grain in the top 3 ingredients - and 3 out of the top 5 seems excessive. When a food is less expensive than others, there has to be a reason. In this case I'd say it is the use of large amounts of cheap ingredients (ie. grains).

5. Cayman's Mom

thanks for the link.

i understand that our babies are so important to us - but sometimes it's hard to justify the huge difference in price for a smaller bag of food that he may do equally well on.

i think maybe we'll try it, we could always switch back to innova....

6. Cayman's Mom

it's not that money is an issue - i'm just looking for whether there's even a way to justify the extra $23 for the innova when i can get a larger bag of food for so much less with there not being a $23 type of differential in ingredients....

7. lillys7

lillys7 Boxer Booster

I agree with Cody, I started that other post and we are currently switching to the Kirkland...I am in the mixing phase right now...I am actually thinking of just mixing permanently which will still be cheaper in the long run. You could always rotate the food two, if you know someone who uses it try a sample with your dog and see if he likes it...I'm going to give some to a boxer friend of ours...

8. BooBoo & Riley

BooBoo & Riley Completely Boxer Crazy

My dogs are usually on BARF... but we do feed kibble once in a while... I'll compare the Chicken Soup that our dogs like to the Kirkland Lamb and Rice that they had about a month ago...

They like the Kirkland just fine, but they had a lot more eye boogers, breath was a lot worse, they were farting again and fur is a little more rough... but all in all, there wasn't anything wrong with the food. Maybe try the Chicken formula instead of the lamb. It is so much more cost effective even compared to the Chicken Soup which I was paying $30 for 35#...

9. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

ROFL! What do you classify as anything wrong? I wouldn't much like to see that result - especially after only a month.

10. lillys7

lillys7 Boxer Booster

Guinness actually has less gas since we started mixing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.