1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reverse brindle

Discussion in 'Canine genetics and heredity issues' started by ozz321, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozz321

ozz321 Boxer Pal

ok, call me a dummy, but what is reverse brindle? i know what brindle is but ive been hearing alot about reverse brindle and wanted to know exactly what it is and is it a genetic disorder like the white boxer is.

2. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

A Reverse Brindle is when the dog appears black and you can faintly see fawn colorings. My baby is brindle and I thought for a while that she might be reverse brindle and inquired about it and have been told she is a brindle and after looking through the galleries on brindles I see she is dark but not quite as dark as the reverse brindles. As far as a genetic defect that needs to be answered from someone that knows more then I do about this, but I would say No it is not a genetic defect. Check my gallery and you will see my baby, and then check through the brindle boxer gallery. ;)

3. Lael

Lael Super Boxer

Lael is a "reverse brindle". Here are some pictures:

Lael 1

Lael 2

Lael 3

To my knowledge, neither the white "color" nor the "reverse brindle" are considered disorders. Check out this thread, which can explain the genetics in further detail.

Cat & Lael

4. HarleyMama

HarleyMama BANNED

A "Reverse Brindle" is simply a brindle boxer where the black lines of the brindling occur closer together making the dog very dark (or "black") looking in color. Also, it sometimes "appears" to be black with fawn stripes. Whereas in a lighter brindle, the lines are more spaced. However, there is no such thing as a Black boxer as it is genetically impossible. There are no genes that carry the black color trait. Its either fawn, brindle, flashy or in some cases, white. Therefore, no all-black boxer is possible. If you see a "boxer" that is completely black, it most likely has a mix of something else in its line.

As the owner of a white boxer, I would like to add that white and reverse brindles are NOT genetically defective. If you cross two flashy boxers, you WILL get some white pups. Flashy boxers carry a recessive gene for whiteness... if that makes sense.

This links explain it all without being overly scienc-y.

Color and Markings

Red (fawn) & Brindle Color Genetics

White Color Genetics

Hope this helps!

Melissa & white boy Harley :LOL:

5. naomi1025

naomi1025 Boxer Booster

Jax is a reverse

Hey I also have a reverse brindle baby. He looks black for the most part but in the sun you can see his brown, or fawn colored stripes.

Naomi, Lily and Jax

6. DianeD

DianeD Boxer Booster

Daisy is also a reverse brindle. She looks black with red stripes. JoJo is a brindle. The look almost like exact opposites as far as their coloring!

Daisy and JoJo

7. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

After viewing Jax and Daisy's pictures I have no doubt that my baby is a dark brindle and not reverse. I have never seen a dog as dark as Jax and Daisy runs a close second. ;) If there was such a thing as a black boxer Jax would be the one. :) Both dogs are just beautiful.

8. bxrcrzy13

bxrcrzy13 Boxer Pal

Our Oz is a reverse brindle also there is a picture of him in my picture gallery

9. wommar

wommar Boxer Pal

my avatar is my reverse brindle..mostly black boxer oreo

10. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

A white boxer is not the result of any sort of genetic disorder at all. It is simply a dog that received two copies of the gene causing flash (white markings) - one from each parent. Without that gene, the dog will be predominantly solid coloured. With one copy, it is flashy. And with two copies, it is ultra-flashy (ie. white or predominantly white). That's all. No genetic "defects" or disorders in the mix at all.

Coat colour and its inheritance is a little more fully explained at www.boxerworld.com/coat_colour

As for reverse brindle, that is a term used in North America to describe a dog with an extremely high concentration of brindle striping. In some parts of Canada, the same colour is called "seal" brindle. Elsewhere in the world, it is just called dark brindle. Note that "extremely high" does not mean just a lot - and most of the dogs people describe as "reverse" brindle are not ;) A dog that is reverse brindle has the appearance of being black - it is only upon inspection that you will see (and should be able to clearly see) the fawn. This is "reverse" in the sense that it appears that the dog has a black base coat, and some fawn striping. In fact, it is an extremely high concentration of black stripes on fawn ground colour - just like any other shade of brindle.

Insofar as the boxer standard goes, the colour is allowable in the US and Canada, but a fault elsewhere (just as an extremely "light" brindle would be - meaning one that is fawn with just a few faint brindle stripes).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.