1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retractable Leash??

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by jbfshn33, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

We use regular 6 foot leather leash nearly all the time. It is pretty scary when your pup bolts after something and rips the retractable leash out of your hand. They end up either continuing the out of control chase, or running away from the handle that seems to be chasing them. In addition, training is greatly inhibited compared to a regular leash.

Saying that, there are exceptions now that Layla is over 2, ie. more mature and trained. For example, walking the beach at the ocean at sunrise with no one around. She will run 3 miles, investigating everything, to every mile I walk. She knows the limit of the retractable leash and does not test it, as she did as a pup.

We also use a loose, as in not held, rope for training off leash control. She clearly distinguishes between all of three, and LOL, certainly knows when she is totally off leash.

2. MayaDiane

MayaDiane Boxer Pal

My seven month old boxer girl gets excited sometimes when she's on her retractable leash and bolts. She pulled the retractable leash handle right out of my hand once because I couldn't hold on to it. Another time she pulled so hard on the retractable leash she nearly popped my finger out of its socket. My knuckles on that finger still hurt a month later. With a six foot regular leash, I have much more control and can loop it over my wrist and have a better grip on the leash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.