Resource Guarding/Bullying

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi All, I'm have some trouble with Fiona attacking our other dog Marvin. Things were ok for the first 12 months, then she starting having a go at him whenever there is some sort of treat or high value resource ie we had a dog staying for a few days and we had Marvin separated but when he came into the room and sniffed around the other dogs blanket she attacked him and a few days ago a friend with a baby came to visit, Marvin was in his crate as I know this sort of excitement would set her off, but even a few hours after the baby had left she attacked him for being in the room where the baby had been and today she attacked him for sniffing around the floor under the dining table (we weren't eating, I've banned any eating when both dogs are around) . There's been no issues outside, they seem to be fine there except that she bullys him to play with her, barking at him, jumping on him and punching him. I'm making her wear a lead indoors so I can pull her back if she has a go and I've started making her sleep in her crate. I made a mistake a few months ago when he made her get off the bed and wouldn't let her back on, I kicked him off and made him sleep in his crate and let her back on the bed. I can see now that was a dumb move as he was asserting himself and she was obeying him, but stupid me couldn't stand to see my baby pushed off. So we are at the point now where it has really escalated and he just wants to hide in his crate 24/7 which has probably made it worse as the more time he hides the more she sees the house as her space. Poor boy is so unhappy and I'm really unsure if it is possible to fix this, any help most welcome.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Hi All, I'm have some trouble with Fiona attacking our other dog Marvin. Things were ok for the first 12 months, then she starting having a go at him whenever there is some sort of treat or high value resource ie we had a dog staying for a few days and we had Marvin separated but when he came into the room and sniffed around the other dogs blanket she attacked him and a few days ago a friend with a baby came to visit, Marvin was in his crate as I know this sort of excitement would set her off, but even a few hours after the baby had left she attacked him for being in the room where the baby had been and today she attacked him for sniffing around the floor under the dining table (we weren't eating, I've banned any eating when both dogs are around) . There's been no issues outside, they seem to be fine there except that she bullys him to play with her, barking at him, jumping on him and punching him. I'm making her wear a lead indoors so I can pull her back if she has a go and I've started making her sleep in her crate. I made a mistake a few months ago when he made her get off the bed and wouldn't let her back on, I kicked him off and made him sleep in his crate and let her back on the bed. I can see now that was a dumb move as he was asserting himself and she was obeying him, but stupid me couldn't stand to see my baby pushed off. So we are at the point now where it has really escalated and he just wants to hide in his crate 24/7 which has probably made it worse as the more time he hides the more she sees the house as her space. Poor boy is so unhappy and I'm really unsure if it is possible to fix this, any help most welcome.
You need to contact a behaviorist..
Things to consider: Is Fiona spayed? Is Marvin neuterd? Getting them both fixed might help.
You need to reinforce the dominate dog. Pet first, feed first etc. Of course you are the leader of the pack.
Is Marvin a Boxer?
Good luck!