1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescued 8yr old Lab joins the family :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by sasmeow, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sasmeow

sasmeow Boxer Insane

My sister use to have 2 female labradors. Syndey passed away from cancer almost 2 years ago, leaving, Dixie, who just turned 8 yrs old. My sister decided to contact a local lab rescue, and decided on an older lab, for Dixie, and she didnt want to deal with a puppy right now. He has had a very rough life so far, but he will live out the rest of his years with the best care and lots of love!! He looks like he was a very well bred lab, and is super friendly, so I think he was around people at some time in his life. His hips were certified at age 3, so someone did care for him at one time. From the papers my sister got and what the rescue told her, we think he was a stud dog most of his life, then adopted by someone else. Since he had health testing and looks like a good lab, you would think he came from a reputable breeder, but she sure didn't research where he was homed later. Not sure when he was rehomed, but the new owner wanted to breed him. I guess he was too old, or she bred him for a while, and when he could no longer be of use to her, she told a neighbor she was going to shoot him (as well as his brother). They came and took the dogs, and this rescue then got him. He was neutered, treated for fleas and worms, and some type of skin condition. His hair was trimmed. His coat looked horrible, and he was very underweight. He was only 60 pounds. He is up to 64 pounds now. My sister is switching him to a better food (I think he was on some crappy science diet at the rescue, not sure what he got before that) and she bathed him, brushed him and he looks better already. She took him to our vet today, and he had an ear infection in BOTH ears. I told her yesterday I thought he did. His ears were super dirty and smelled. The vet thought he had the infection for quite awhile and was slightly deaf... we thought he was just slow, but turns out, he can't hear us very well! He is such a big sweet boy!!! He has been super sweet to every person and dog he has met. If you pet him, he instantly becomes your best friend, lol. He even slept by one of my sisters cats the first night! He didn't even chase either kitty! His muscles are very atrophied, probably a combination of his poor diet (or lack of food), and being in a kennel, outside, for who knows how long. He has some arthrtis in his knees, but my sister started him on glucosamine/chodrodrotin. He isnt potty trained, but he is getting it. I just love my new nephew!!! :)

Here's the cutie!!! My sister kept his name Moose.
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19468892?photo_view=1&rvp=1

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

Ohhhh poor Moose! he looks like such a sweethart!!! what an handsome boy!!! he looks like a "real" lab, stalky and sweet

lovicon

3. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

His face looks just like my friend's dog Homer! Homer is 13 though and very very slow now. But SUCH a sweetheart! I'm sure Moose is too. :)

4. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

I saw his face and immediately felt like he'd be a big ol' ball of love and cuddles. Is that bad? :LOL:

5. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Wow, he is beautiful! Tell your sister thank you from me. Nothing warms my heart more then seeing an older dog get adopted. This is a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing!

6. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

He is so cute! I love his name!

7. sasmeow

sasmeow Boxer Insane

That is too funny because I told my sister to change his name to Homer, LOL!!!

8. sasmeow

sasmeow Boxer Insane

Oh, he IS!!!! He just wants to be RIGHT next to you at all times. I have never met a dog so clingy! But I cant blame him since he has been passed all around. He is such a sweetie! lovicon

9. sasmeow

sasmeow Boxer Insane

I will tell her! She figured that his chances of being adopted were not that great, and she just fell in love with him. She has another lab that's 8 so she thought he would be the best fit. I can't understand how anyone can get rid of any dog, but especially him! He is the sweetest, most friendly dog I have met. My sister said she will always rescue labs.

10. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

That’s wonderful! Im glad she is sold on rescuing. I swear we get the BEST seniors into our rescue. Dogs that are so wonderful you cannot fathom how anyone would ever give them up. I wish these dogs could talk because I cannot imagine how they could end up on death row. I will only rescue seniors in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.