Renal failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
Diva has been off her food for a good 3 to 4 days (this is highly unusual for her) and so off we tripped to the vet. Diagnosed with a UTI and an ear infection - absolutely no indications of that until pus started pouring out of her ear nonoicon

And then things just went from bad to worse and beyond. Got a call from the vet this morning who advised that Diva is in acute renal failure. Her kidney tests for the past year haven't been great, but it has still come as a huge shock. Best case scenario is that it is an infection - she has been admitted to hospital for IV antibiotics and if no change within the next 48 to 72 hours, then I will have to make one of the toughest decisions of my life. I am really trying not to get ahead of myself, but life without Diva is almost beyond my comprehension - she and I have been together for so long now.

Diva has doged so many life threatening health issues (haemangiosarcoma, bloat and cardiac arrest) in the past 3 to 4 years that I am just hoping she can pull off another miracle.

Any and all healing vibes will be most gratefully received.

rockysarge

Boxer Buddy
It's times like this when we find out how tough our little ones are. I know I would have never been able to go through what Rocky did for as long as he did.

Hoping your Diva pulls through again. Sending all the healing vibes I can for you both

CLArella

Boxer Pal
Prayers coming your way

My dog, Gabriel, has had 9 seizures this month... so I know what you mean about thinking about the unimaginable... It sounds like your Diva is a fighter though - I pray for you and your family that Diva makes a speedy recovery - but if not, finds peace with her creator. I am so sorry you are going though this! How is she doing?

MomtoMaggie

Boxer Booster
Diva kidney failure

Hi,

I was just wondering if Diva responded to the IV flush? Maggie had been feeling sick for most of Feb and they didn't do blood until the 29th b/c she had blood work done Jan 5th. Sadly, knowing what I do now, the b/w in Jan was tell tale of kidney problems. Her CREA was 6.7, BUN 128 and Phos 9.6 by the time she was diagnosed. She went in for a 3 day IV flush and her numbers came down, but not by as much as we had hoped.

One thing I learned is that you actually keep them on the IV fluids until the numbers stop coming down. Our vet just did 3 days, but maybe longer would have gotten her values down even lower. Her CREA was 3.7, BUN 61 and Phos 5.7 when she was discharged. We continued sub/q fluids at home and do this every day. I home cook a low phos diet for her, have her on a phosphorous binder (aluminum hydroxide) and some supplements including Renadyl, renal essentials, six flavor tea pills (traditional chinese medicine), CoQ10, b vitamins and taurine. Her CREA last week was 2.3, BUN 30 and phos 5.3.

She doing amazing. You would never know this dog is sick. I hope Diva responded the flush and if she is home with you, I would highly recommend joining k9kidneys group on yahoo. These people helped me save my baby.

Heather and Maggie

MomtoMaggie

Boxer Booster
kidney infection and/or UTI

I also wanted to mention that these often need to be treated much longer than two weeks. Maggie had a series of UTI's and it turns out that most likely it never was fully cleared and likely made it to her kidneys. Nothing cultured, which is not uncommon with kidney infection, but an ultrasound showed mild renal dysplasia in both kidneys. When she started showing signs of nausea the 3rd week in April we hospitalized her again for another flush and I begged to treat for a possible kidney infection. We did an 8 week course of baytril. We rechecked the u/s last weekend and dysplasia cleared from one kidney and improved quite a bit in the other. Also, protein loss (UP:C) went from 0.6 to 0.1 after treating for an infection.

Heather and Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.