1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renal Failure:(

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by bucksteemom2, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksteemom2

bucksteemom2 Boxer Insane

I just found out yesterday my little 5 yr old Jack Russell Milo is in Renal Failure:( I am currently administering sub q fluids 500ml a day. He is currently taking 3 Azodyl, 1- 5mg Enalapril Enacard, Aluminum hydroxide gel powder, famotidine tablets 40mg a day. He eats Wellness grain free can food. I tried K/D but he threw up violently. He does great in the morning and threw the day. However, at night he throws up, has diahrea and wont eat. I am desperate for any suggestions on how I can better help him or change food? Does it sound like I am overloading his system with fluid?

2. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

I don't have any advice or knowledge of Milo's problem. But I'm really sorry he has to go through this. My Jack is closing in on the ripe old age of 13. I can't imagine going through this at only 5.

3. bucksteemom2

Thank you:) I am reading everything I can get my hands on!! We go back tomorrow for more blood tests to see if his levels have come down any!! Keeping our paws crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I don't have any real advice, but wanted to say that I hope you get better lab values.

Can you feed him more often during the day to help with nausea and vomitting? My cat with renal failure does better with free feeding.

5. bucksteemom2

Thank you I am feeding him smaller amounts 4 times a day and he is on day 2 with no vomitting:)
    We got his 2nd set of labs back yesterday and he is doing so much better!! We are keeping him well hydrated, his phosphorus levels are almost normal and his BUN is not to far off. The vet was surprised at how fast he is improving:) He gave me the best compliment ever!! The vet said "I knew if anyone could turn a kidney failure dog around it would be you:)"
    We will just keep up what we are doing and hopefully we can eventually only do fluids once a week!!!

6. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

Great to hear that he's fighting back with all your help. I hope things keep going in a positive direction. It's hard to keep a JRT down!

7. bucksteemom2

Tonight we made the hardest decison of our life!!! When I came home from work Milo had thrown up 12 times and had diahrea 3 times. He was not responding correctly and could barely walk. He wa retracting to breath and wheezing when he did breath. He was so miserable and very cold. We took him straight to the vet and he informed us Milo was already dieing. He was slowly suffering. We had to choose the right thing and let him go peacefully. In the end the kidney disease won but Milo is happy and pain free at the Rainbow bridge:)

8. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I'm so sorry. :( :( He's painfree and happy again now, you did a good thing for him...I cannot imagine how hard it must be though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.