Remove due claw at 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_bailey

Super Boxer
Hi,

Bailey had his due claw removed before we got him at 8 weeks.

But Tink still has hers, she's 12 months old now. Is that too old 2 remove them? They're really sharp, and I'd rather she didn't have them, but it depends if there's any risks with removing them at an older age.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Are they actually causing her any problems? In most cases, they don't ;)

Removing them at this stage would indeed be an amputation. She'd have to be anaesthetised for surgery. If it just happens that she has a surgery (for medical or health reasons) coming up, then that would be a good time for removing them if you care to. But surgery and anasthesia is not without risks. I would not personally put a dog through that for something that's purely cosmetic (i.e. if there's nothing medical requiring a surgical solution, then I wouldn't consider creating it for the sake of removing a body part that isn't causing the dog any problems).

sarah_bailey

Super Boxer
Are they actually causing her any problems? In most cases, they don't ;)

They don't cause her any problems, I've just heard that it's better for dogs to not have them.

I wont have them removed unless they need to be, just wanted to check that we didn't need to.

Thankyou gmacleod.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
I wouldn't have them off if they're not causing probs Sarah, putting her through unnecessary surgery is not without risks itself.

Biff

Boxer Insane
We asked the vet about Buttons who has ONE dewclaw. At 8 weeks he said it was "too late" to do anything about it.

Gruntsmom

Boxer Insane
Glad to hear Tink's dewclaws are staying!! :) Grunt's were not removed either, when they should have been - I just make sure the nails are trimmed and smooth because they can get caught in carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.