Reling kitchen need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninersneal

Super Boxer
We are in the planning stages of remodeling our kitchen. The house was built in 1959 and needs a bit of work. We plan on living here for a very lond time so this is the only time I plan on doing this. I am looking at either Kitchenaid or Dacor cooktops with griddle. Anyone have these? Any suggestions or words of wisdom before we start? Thanks!

Debbie Magon

Boxer Pal
Janine, as I am in New Zealand I am not familiar with the products you mentioned. I am however, very familiar with remodelling, or renovating, as we Kiwis call it ;)

Number one rule?

Dont consult the hubby! They always want what their Mother, brother, sister or best mate has :(

Jokes aside:LOL:

Renovating is a nightmare at best, so I say look at all your options before you decide on anything.

I designed and chose everything, all from different companies.

The floor plans and layout was a combined effort and the colour scheme was definately MY baby! ;)

I imported a lot of fixtures as NZ had a very limited assortment. It was not an expensive thing to do!

Best thing was I got exactly what I wanted, as we too will not be going down that track again:D

ninersneal

Super Boxer
AHHH, I am so embarrassed!! How did I type reling instead of remodeling??? smashicon smashicon
Debbie:
So far my hubby and I are agreeing, very scarey LOL. Here in CA it seems to be hard to find general contractors so I have to do it myself plus work full time and train puppy and deal with a teenager. I have decided to put the pups in doggie day care till its done, dont want anything to happen to them. I will be without a kitchen for a bit but at least I can barbeque or take out. I just want something I can be happy with.

S

SPRAYBUSTER

WE JUST FINISHED THE SAME PROJECT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. ONE BIT OF ADVISE--DO NOT USE PARQUE FLOORING!!!!!!! OUR FLOOR IS ALREADY RUINED WITH BUSTER TOENAIL DENTS IN IT. HE DOESN'T SCRATCH THE FINISH, JUST MAKES INDENTIONS. BAD CHOICE ON OUR PART:(

Wendy Swalls

Super Boxer
We found a GE profile cooktop last year at Lowe's. It comes with your choice of 2 burners/griddle or 4 burners or 2 burners/grill. We bought the whole set and they interchange. I've been very happy with mine, changing the units out is easy and clean-up is easy.

Good luck on your remodel, we're going to be there in a couple of years and my hubby wants pergo flooring in the kitchen. I'm hoping to convince him that ceramic tile would be better. We live in Florida so it doesn't get cold for long and the ceramic tile would hold up to dog toenails better, I think.

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
We just finished huge kitchen renovation - actually what used to be the kitchen is now a panry 1/2 bath and laundry area and we built a new kitchen on.

After having done two big home improvement projects, one thing I would do differently, I would have the architect make a to scale 3-d model of the room. The plans can be so misleading, I thought our masterbath was going to be too small for the huge tub I picked out, when I saw the drawings, I thought, "I'm gonna hit my knees on the tub when I go potty" I the smallest potty I could find, but there was plenty of room - maybe it is actually too big!

With the kitchen, the space where we go into it from the side entry looked plenty big on the drawings, but it is a bit tight, and when the fridge door was opened it used to bang into the counter on the other side, we had to do some moving over after everything was in which I think could have been avoided with a model.

Also, on the second project we had the architect supervise the GC, it was more $ upfront, but we saved money in the long run, the final budget was very close to the proposed one. He was a bulldog at fighting the GC over the "extras" which we had a lot of problems with in the first re-do. GRRRR.

I mean I don't know how much crown moulding is supposed to cost per foot, but the architect did.

Debbie Magon

Boxer Pal
ninerseal, hubby has proposed an even BIGGER renovation now!!!!

As if the kitchen then bathroom wasnt a big enough nightmare!

In theory we do want the same thing, a bigger better liveable home, but gee, cant we have it MY way!;)

HELP!!!!! smashicon

Status
Not open for further replies.