1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recurring UTI?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by honeybunny, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honeybunny

honeybunny Boxer Pal

my honey is a bit of a medical mystery right now.

she is 11 months old and since the day i brought her home (9 weeks) she was leaking some green discharge. the vet said it could clear up on its own so we waited a week and then decided medication was a better route. the medicine wasn't working after a while so we ordered a urinalysis which showed some calcium oxolate crystals. we switched her diet and upped her water intake and continued with the medication which cleared the crystals! however the discharge was still present so we switched her medication. no change.

after a while we decided that we needed to do some xrays to see if there were any stones or anything else we needed to look at - and there was nothing. we decided that we should do another urinalysis and send it away for culture (we live in a small city in canada). it came back negative! it is so frustrating!

anyway we changed her medication again to something that is very strong but still there has been no change. the vet suggested that we drive into the "big city" which is 2 hours away to get an ultrasound. or, we could inject her with some type of dye and then let it pass through her system and then take more xrays. this would rule out if she has some sort of displaced ureter or a pocket in her bladder/urinary tract that is holding urine and causing infection to leak out when she urinates and that would be why the medication isn't fixing anything. the vet said if it was her dog, she would just leave it. she said its not worth the money to sedate her for these tests, when she seems like she can live with the infection and its not hurting her.

then yesterday, she had THREE accidents in the house over 2 hours. my 100% housebroken/bell trained pup! she stood there right in front of me, squatted and peed! there was no telling me, but no look of pain and no whimpering either. her urine was very clear and had no smell at all. she was drinking a lot of water yesterday, but i assumed that was because we spent an hour romping around in the snow at the park. i dont think she has any reason to be mad at me to do something like this, it is SO unlike her.

any thoughts? the vet is not open today, but i will definitely be giving them a call tomorrow just to see if they have any other suspicions.

2. dodgeandmar

dodgeandmar Boxer Booster

Have they checked her kidney function?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.