Rectal bleeding/bloody stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
I haven't been to boxerworld in some time but needed to talk about this. I got home today to a house that looked like a crime scene and my poor Lilly sitting on the couch in shock, literally.
There were blood pools in four or five places with other spots of vomiting. I immediately took her to the urgent care center and that's where she's spending the night. She was stable and wagging her little nub when I left.

I was told that she was in shock from losing so much fluid and blood. Her blood preasure and temperature were low and heart rate accelerated. They are running a full blood panel to look for any organ issues/diseases but I'm afraid it might be some type of digestive cancer. She had a tumor removed from one of her hind legs early November. It was a grade two. I'm afraid maybe the cancer spread. The vet suspects hemorrhagic gastreonits. Is anyone familiar with this condition?

Tomorrow they will be doing an X-ray of the stomach. I argued that maybe an ultrasound would be better that an X-ray but the vet did not agree.

I love this creature. She turned five in August and she has slept next to me since she was seven weeks old when I brought her home. She is my soul mate and has always been there for me.

rena

Boxer Booster
Sending you positive vibes - I don't have any experience with this but must be very unnerving. I hope they are able to treat this and your bed partner is back in her rightful place very soon.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I hope they find out what is wrong. Sending lots of positive healing (((vibes))) your way! ----->>>>

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
So we visited Ms. Lilly this morning and it was obvious she felt better. She was all wiggles. Her blood work has been normal other than the expected differences due to the loss of blood and fluid. They did an X-ray of the belly and found no abnormalities other than the incidental finding of some wire which the vet said she was certain was not the problem. After doing some research I found that this diagnosis can be caused by the parvovirus. I asked if that could be what she caught and I was told that parvovirus only affects young dogs and unvaccinated dogs. I'll have to do some research on that and may insist they run the test for parvovirus, just in case.

She has been on fluids and antibiotics via the IV and she has responded beautifully. I get to bring my girl home tomorrow. :)

Thanks guys...

Gunther

Super Boxer
We lost Hedi 8 weeks ,brindle boxer to Parvo! I also thought puppies were the only victims?
Good that she is feeling better but consider a second option perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.