1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering from Spay

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by RockyCody, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

Hey guys. I am fostering a 1 year old pitty mix who I named CAMI after Susi's amazing dog Cami that we all read so much about. Anyway - my guess is she is american staffordshire terrier mix/am. bulldog mix. She got spayed on WED and I have a few questions for ya'll if you can help me out:

1. they sent her home with Previcoxx which i've been giving her every 24 hours
    2. they also sent her home w/ acepromazine 25mg which I refuse to give her since I'm scared of it due to boxerworld...lol. I know she isn't boxer but I know the drug is dangerous. Has anyone else used it on their dogs (who aren't boxers) in an "at home" type setting as a sedative?
    3. Do you think I could give her benedryl to calm her down ? If so she is about 50#, how much?
    4. She has staples in her incision instead of sutures - I'm hearing most people have sutures- but there are some gaps in between the sutures and it's been leaking/bleeding since the spay. Nothing significant - but I"ve been cleaning every morning w/ warm washcloth, etc.
    5. What other activities can she do in the crate? I've been through 5 bullysticks since WED with her (which btw - is there a LIMIT to how many bullysticks you can give a dog? LOL)

Thanks loves. I appreciate any advice as always.

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

You can give Benadryl but sedating her probably is not necessary. Unless she is so hyper that she is literally bouncing off the walls then I wouldn't try to sedate her. Staples are fine. Its not as pretty and sometimes the metal bothers them more (so watch for licking) but it will heal just the same. The small amount of leaking/bleeding is normal but I would think it should have stopped by now? If the leaking has a smell or is puss-y that could indicate an infection...but that's not too likely. Most dogs recover easily from a spay.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

When I took Raine off the pain meds (Tramadol) I asked her vet about dosing her up with Benadryl (I was 1/2 joking but wanted permission). He said it would be fine after the spay. Benadryl is dosed at 1mg per pound so a 50 pound dog could take 50mgs BUT.....I'd personally start out with 25mgs just to see the affects. Sometimes it can make them hyper instead of drowsy and a lower dose could easily make her sleepy enough to rest well.
    Of course run it past the vet first!
    If there is a limit of bully sticks Raine has surpassed it. She is going through 2 12 inch ones a day, sometimes 3. She is dealing with a bit of loose stools right now but I tend to think it is more related to how many treats and peanut butter she is getting. Prior to the spay she was eating a lot of bully's as well with no stool issues.
    I hope "Cami" is doing well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.