1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw feeding schedule, Puppy 8-10 weeks

Discussion in 'RAW Feeding' started by axp113, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

A little background, I started feeding raw when my dogs were about 1-2 years old. I feed them Chicken backs, necks, hearts, gizzards, liver, turkey necks and hearts, cow tongue, rabbit, hen, sometimes fish, raw eggs, ground tripe. I rarely ever feed vege, but sometimes I will mix in a supplement with some ground turkey necks. I feed them about 28-32 ounces each per day, split into 2 meals (70%-80% RMB, 20%-30% Offal).

Since I started feeding Raw to the dogs after 1 year old, I am not 100% on how/what I can feed to puppies. For puppies, I read that I should feed them about 5%-10% of their body weight. I will most likely do 3-4 smaller meals per day instead of 2 meals that I typically do. I am assuming the same ratio 70-80% RMB and 20-30% offal.

Can I feed the puppy chicken neck and offal?
    Should I cut up the necks so they are smaller?
    What are some good RMB's to feed to puppies?
    Is there anything I should stay away from for puppies?

I have a few books I read and I feel like I have a good idea on what to do, but hearing it from someone that actually feeds raw would be great.

thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You can feed 2-3 percent of your pup's expected adult weight. Just divide the amount up into more meals. Don't cut up the chicken necks. It is better that he chews them up. Just feed your pup what you feed your adult dogs.

Good luck!

3. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

When Gus was a baby he had trouble chewing/digesting the larger bones like drumsticks on a chicken. I found the best thing for him (for the bone content) was Cornish game hens, which are small and have very soft bones. At that age I let him eat until he was full, which was usually about 1/2 a hen 2x/day. Plus he got other meals of meat only, beef ribs or whatever he could gnaw the meat off but not swallow the bone. He had a terrible time getting used to offal so I had to go very VERY slow with that introduction, but eventually his poops firmed up nicely. I never measured his food as a pup, just let him eat until he was full and he self-regulated wonderfully. Now, of course, he'd eat as much as I'd give him, but as a baby he was great at self regulating.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.