1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw egg for puppy?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Louie's Mom, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie's Mom

Louie's Mom Completely Boxer Crazy

So I have read that 1 raw egg is good for your dog ( shiny coat, protein ect.)
    but I was wondering if it is o.k. to give a puppy a raw egg, if so then can it be given at 8 weeks of age, and how often?

Thanks for any input

2. Indy B's Mom

Indy B's Mom Boxer Insane

I'm not sure what age you can give raw eggs, but I used to give one a day to my pit-I would put it over his kibble with his dinner. It gave Noah awful gas, so I stopped doing it. I'm not saying that all dogs will have that reaction to it, but I don't give it to Ty. I figure why take a chance-we all know that boxers have bad enough gas without any help lol. With Ty, I just feed him Solid Gold and he gets Missing Link supplement with yogurt every morning. His coat is so nice and soft, so this combination works for him. Hopefully someone else will have better egg experiences, to give you a little more advice with it. Good luck!

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I know Tara breeder said that you shouldn't give raw egg white until at least a year of age. I forget the reasoning, but I know it has been posted here on the board. Maybe a soft boiled egg. :)

4. Louie's Mom

Louie's Mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Ok thanks you guys

Yeah, I used to give my previouse dog raw eggs about 3 times a week, but he was an adult when I started that. I don't really feel comfortable giving a baby raw eggs anyway. I will wait for him to turn one first - My pit used to get bad gas too. but pitbulls are known for nasty farts too.

Oh, I am going to start my dog on Canidea when I get him ( I will be weaning him off of science diet). Its the best food I can get around here.

Thanks for the helpful info.

5. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

I'm perfectly comfortable with giving raw eggs to puppies, and from a young age too. Just not too many - 2-3 per week is the maximum I'd ever give to an adult, so one per week is plenty for a pup. More than that will not give you the nice shiny coat you're looking for, it will cause his hair to fall out ;) Like a great many things in this life, raw eggs are wonderful in moderation, but can be harmful if you take in excess ;)

6. boxerchick12

boxerchick12 Banned

Question - I always cook eggs for my dogs. Does it lose some of its value by cooking it (I know vegetables do). My guys coats are pretty good, but they are spoiled house dogs. Am I wasting my time giving them cooked (scrambled with cheese, haha) eggs??

7. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, all food loses some of it's value by cooking (that's why lots of athletes take their eggs raw too - they just hide them inside power shakes etc ;)).

But on the upside of cooking them, there is less of an issue around how many per week is allowable, since the biotin in the egg white gets cooked. Nobody has ever done studies into the effect of cholesterol on dogs though (lol), so it's probably a good idea to stick with just 2-3 anyway - that's as much as is recommended for people.

8. marjieh

marjieh Boxer Booster

I give Bella a raw egg every once in a while and have since she was 12 weeks. SHe loves it and looks good. We haven't had any problems

9. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

raw egg - do you give it on its own on on their food? :confused:

10. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

Usually with their food - it helps to make the kibble appetising. No matter if you want to give it seperately though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.