Random Yelping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessa

Boxer Booster
Over the last week, my boy Tucker has been randomly yelping, almost like if you stepped on his toe. He tends to do it maybe once or twice a day, and usually when he is either trying to stand on his hind two legs, or when he circles to lay down. He runs and jumps and plays and acts completely normal. The yelps come out of the blue. We've gone over his paws - no cuts, thorns, stingers, broken nails or anything like that. It's almost like he tweaked his back?

Has anyone experienced something like this? I'm hesitant to take him to the vet because he is acting normal otherwise. I may wait another week and see since he is his happy, wiggly self 99.9% of the time. I will probably end up calling in another couple of days if this doesn't sort itself out. Any advice or history with something like this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Karinapearl

Boxer Pal
Hi Tessa,

Our boxer has been doing the same thing. I narrowed it down to his tail. He yelps when I touch it and it seems to be causing him pain. There are no marks or scratches on his tail though. We are hesitant to go to the vet too since he seems ok otherwise too.

What happened to Tucker since your post?

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I had one that would yelp if he needed to reach down for food or a treat. It was arthritis in his shoulders. He acted normally other than feeding time. He was about 8 years old when it started.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I had one that would yelp if he needed to reach down for food or a treat. It was arthritis in his shoulders. He acted normally other than feeding time. He was about 8 years old when it started. If you don't have him on glucosamine I would start it. Fish oil and vitamin e should help as well. Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Tessa

Boxer Booster
We went to the vet last week. Of course he was fine when we were there! The vet tried to recreate the motions that made him yelp, but no luck. Vet suggested Lyme test, and I asked for full blood work while we were at it as he had started eating slow too. All came back negative. Vet said he didn't feel right recommending X-rays since he wasn't demonstrating any pain. Suggested it might be arthritis setting in and offered a cortisone shot. Tucker is only 5, but he said it's not uncommon for hard players to get arthritis at that age. Said to call back if any more symptoms show.

The cortisone shot was like magic! Tucker was back to his normal energy and eating fast again later that day. In hindsight, I think the eating slow was because he did not want to bend over. We'll be starting the joint supplements!

Status
Not open for further replies.