1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raised bump and hair loss

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by boxrmommy, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxrmommy

boxrmommy Boxer Booster

All,

Poppy started having a pinpoint size hairloss in November. It is now eraser-head size with a slight raised bump. The vet did a scraping in December and no cancerous cells were detected by microscope. We have been applying Dermalone twice daily with no luck. Any thoughts? I have attached a picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plhxiwl7wbr6xts/IMG_20140125_183426.jpg

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

It's really hard to tell from the picture. Lumps and boxers make me nervous. I would be inclined to have it removed, especially if it continues to grow.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

If this were an older dog I might think mast cell just by appearance. Since it is a dog under a year then I might suspect hystiocytoma, wart, etc....nothing cancerous but stranger things have happened.
    For what it's worth, a scraping does not show the contents of a lump on the surface and it can't show cancerous cells contained in the growth. A scraping is more often used to help find mites.

4. qbaker

qbaker Boxer Booster

Boxers are more prone to mole development than other breeds as well. I wonder if it is perhaps a mole developing and the surrounding hair loss simply related to its development. Vet's usually recommend immediate removal of moles since boxers also have a higher cancer rate than other breeds. That doesn't mean this is the case with a mole, but the proactive thing usually recommended is to remove it to avoid bigger issues down the road. Any changes in a moles shape, size or appearance should be addressed right away. Even getting smaller. If it is a mole, I don't know if your Vet would have been able to determine that during the original testing they performed. I'd at least ask about the possibility.

My guy has small mole on thigh his Vet's going to remove. Small procedure.

good luck! keep us informed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. qbaker

qbaker Boxer Booster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.