1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting Smoking Need help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pep0987, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pep0987

pep0987 Super Boxer

I want a cig right now almost more than anything. I need to quit. I hope I can do this. It's going to be hard

2. Mommy2Cool

Mommy2Cool Completely Boxer Crazy

It is hard:( but definately worth it!:)

Keep up the good work!partyicon

3. vaboxer

vaboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

It is SO worth it!

I promise! I quit smoking 1 year ago this past summer. I made it a new years resolution and my best friend and I both did it. It took us a total of 6 months to completely be free though, so it takes a lot of time and patience! And during this time we lived with my now fiance who still smokes...so it is possible!

I remember when I knew I had finally kicked the habit...I woke up one morning and I could literally feel the difference in my breathing, in the way I felt and looked!

We used to always tell each other that smoking was cool (not really, but this is what we thought) when we were young, but why waste your life on it when you have a future to look forward to?

You will feel SO GOOD once you quit...I promise!

Please feel free to email me if you ever need support.

4. sandy oakey

sandy oakey Completely Boxer Crazy

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing I have ever done. In fact I've done it at least 50 times. Doing it longer than a week is the concept I have problems with. I have been thinking about trying hypnosis. Seriously I wish you much luck.

5. Cindy and Lacie.

Cindy and Lacie. Guest

HI! It hasnt been quite a year for me since I quit! But if I can do it so can you! I had lots of help from people on this board. I quit cold turkey, to this day i still have cravings BUT you get passed them. Just take it day by day. Some days are hard, some are easy. YOU CAN DO IT!

6. gidget1

gidget1 Completely Boxer Crazy

Jamie, I quit too. Before Mycah was born. It's not as hard as you think. You just have to do it and stick with it. Throw them away and don't pick them up again. Don't just hide them from yourself, you always know they are there. THROW THEM AWAY!!! Your lungs will thank you in a few months and your asthmatic son will thank you forever!:)

7. pammyjean

pammyjean Boxer Insane

I dont mean to frighten you but.........

Hi as you know my husband ...........Andy has just undergone surgery for an aneurysm we have all gone through a terrible time......the ward Andy was in had six beds.........the old man in the next bed to Andy has just had his leg amputated , he was a heavy smoker..........there was a man in his forties in the bed opposite........he had just had his leg amputated.....he was a heavy smoker......the other three men had problems with circulation in their legs.....all were smokers.........be warned......please try and give up..... my sister in law aged 53 years old has just been diagnosed with a tumour on her left lung......she is also a smoker......please please try......I know its difficult ......I used to smoke and enjoy it......it relaxed me ...I gave up 20 years ago when I found out I was pregnant..... its not an easy thing to do........even now I think I could still enjoy a cigarette. but please try...........sorry to preach.

:eek: :eek:

8. GG-CG-AG

GG-CG-AG Super Boxer

First of all, appicon GOOD FOR YOU appicon

I quit smoking this past July. It WAS hard, but the first week is the hardest. You go through all sorts of withdrawals and it can really put a hurting on you. Once I stopped, I was amazed how different I felt. :) I could breathe SO much easier, and my food never tasted so good! I just kept telling myself all sorts of different things to keep away from the cigarette.

Take it slow but don't take any drags.

For instance... let's say you're last cigarette was yesterday. Today you are craving one sooo hard. You are already one day closer to the withdrawals going away. If you take a drag.... EVEN ONE... it's like starting over from scratch!

Be proud of yourself and how far you've made it without a cigarette. It doesn't matter if you've only been an hour without one! Reward yourself! You deserve it. If yo;ve been five minutes without one, then wait another five minutes...then another. Pretty soon you'll have forgotten about it! :)

You've come this far... why give in now? I promise you will feel better after you quit. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I never realized how bad smoke stinks! Sometimes when I'm having a conversation with a smoker, all I can think is""Oh my God! My breath used to smell like that!" When you leave a smoky restaurant, you can smell it in your clothes and you CAN'T WAIT to get home and change out of them, or wash your hair.

I'm not going to say that I occasionally don't want to stop a smoker and french kiss them just so I can suck the smoke out of their lungs, because I have those moments occasionally. But all I can think is that I've come this far and I worked this hard... and I'm not going to blow it over something so trivial.

When you have a craving do ANYTHING to resist it. Whatever it takes. Take up a new hobby, chew a piece of gum, go for a run, call up a friend. The one that works the best for me is to inhale a BIG deep breath like you are in fact inhaling a cig. For some reason it always works to curb my craving. Last but not least, try your best to remove yourself from situations thatyou know will make you want to smoke. For instance I always took a break at work with all my friends (who smoked). I had to start taking my break at a different time. My worst times were after I ate and in the car. After you eat, take several deep inhalations and chew some gum. Get in the car and turn the radio up real loud and sing your heart out.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. I'll help you the best I can, just believe in yourself!

Congratulations on your decision! YOU CAN DO THIS!

9. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Keep strong. I gave up 2 years ago , cold turkey.

I have never felt better or looked better in my life!!

Every one posting here is sooo right. Smoking is a terrible thing, unhealthy, smelly, expensive and VERY anti social.

I hardly ever see people smoking in restaurants ,etc now.

With the tough smoke free laws here, it has probably forced many to give up, or cut down but its been a "good" law here.

This is something you will never regret doing, and can be proud that you have the will power and determination to stay smoke free.

10. pep0987

pep0987 Super Boxer

I am sory to tell you all, but I am still smoking. I wish I wasn't My new insurace doesn't Start till Jan, I promosed my husband I would quit smoking for his gradution. I need help!!!smokicon smashicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.