1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"quick Brace Sysytem" For Cropped Ear

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jamesy, Jan 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesy

jamesy Boxer Buddy

hi all!,

as i will be cropping my baby's ear fairly soon, i am curious to know if anyone has used the Quick Brace System by Paragon Enterprises to aid in getting the ears to stand. Their website is http://www.hoytt.com/ears/

which traditional method of ear taping would you say works best? any advice and/or pointers that you can give me from your expereince that u wished you had been given?

3 more sleeps till my boy comes home!

thanks in advance for your replies,

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I don't know much about this product but at $33 I'll pass on it....

We've had the most success with the standard taping method, using foam window caulk or something similar as a support (foam hair curlers actually worked better for us, as they have a solid piece in the middle). The best advice it to be consistent, and don't leave the ears down for more than 24 hours (12 is better). And be patient - sometimes it takes a long time for ears to stand, depending on the cut and the thickness of the ear leather. (Oh - and during teething the ears will probably fall - just keep taping through it, they'll come back quickly once teething is over.)

3. ZDBoxer

ZDBoxer Guest

Hi, well now I know that someone is going to laugh..but my boy has tampons in his ears! I buy the super..I mean have them around anyway..they definitly work. Take the apart and cut off the string. For pups I just leave the cotton part condensed and tape it up with reverse taping to help it stick to the ears then just tape the ears around it. Works really well. For the adult size..just expland the cotton part so that its bigger. Also you can use the cardboard applicators too. for small pups put the two inside each other and tape it up so it wont come apart..also reverse tape it..gives it extra strength. For the adult you can expland the inner tube taller and tape. I usually use a cork and a zip tab..but in a pinch I just thought hey I'll use this and I like it even better. Now if only my little Starr baby would leave his ears alone! She plays tug of war with him till one is off then she is fine with the other on... silly boxerssmashicon

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Actually that's a pretty common way of doing ears, I think moreso in Dobermans. My DH, however, would *no way no how* touch one of those ;) so it's foam caulk or rollers for us! :D

5. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

a funny story on the tampons

We also used tampons on my boxer's ear in high school. One day my dad went to buy some. Being a male, I guess he felt the need to explain why he was buying them. He commented to the cashier that they were for the dog. Boy did he get a strange look from her then! :D

6. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

We didn't use any thing to support Rowdy's ears. We took eyelash cement and put it in the upper part of his ear. After folding his ears over and holding them together for a minute or two, we covered his ears with masking tape. The tape would typically last about 2 days. After a few hours without tape, his ears would start drooping. We would retape them and after about 2 weeks he had vertical ears!

7. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Buck was the first dog I had to tape myself...I was very nervous and decided to go the tampon route as well. Worked great and was easy to use. I had to re-tape about every day at first until I wrapped tape around the whole ear instead of just the top and base like suggested on the Doberman site I used. On the downside I did't figure this out until the last taping...would have saved a lot of time if I would have figured this out sooner.smashicon

Another thing I've found helpful is when the tips start to curl use masking tape to straighten them. I take about an 1" of tape and wrap it around the tip...it's light weight but sturdy enough to straighten the tip. After leaving the tape on for 5 days or so the tip is usually straight.:)

8. Willis

Willis Boxer Buddy

I know all about the tampon thing, lol!

With our dobermans, when they first got their ears cut a styrofoam cup was put on their head and their ears taped to it (boy did they look funny). When it came time to getting them to stand, my mom stuck tampons in their ears and used paper tape to hold the tampon in the ear, then she took a tounge depressor and put it between the ears and again used the paper tape around that to basically hold the ears together. (I really hope that made sense, lol)

9. jamesy

jamesy Boxer Buddy

Hi all!,

Thanks for all the wonderful stories and advice. They will all be helpful. My breeder will also be assiting me in the after care.

TKO goes in this Friday! YIKES! It's going to be a BIG day for the both of us. Any suggestions on how to keep TKO as comfortable as possible after his home coming?

I've uploaded pics of TKO in my gallery. Have a peek!

Will keep u all posted!

Cheers!,

10. jamesy

jamesy Boxer Buddy

TKO is home and doing well.....Over the weekend he decided that he wanted a career. I was a little hesistant but couldn't resist saying no to those big puppy eyes! Have a look in the gallery!

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.