Questions re: female's first heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
Sophie is 9mos old and is now going through her first heat. This if my first experience going through this...(as well as her) I haven't read a whole lot on it...but I know the basics. Sophie started to bleed a little (here and there) that was 4days ago. She's still bleeding (not a lot but enough to notice it) My biggest question is 1) how long does this bleeding(spotting) go on for? and 2) how long does the heat usually last?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Her heat will last 21-28 days, though she probably won't bleed for all of that time. It will taper off to a straw-coloured discharge.

But you'll have to keep her under lock and key for the full 28 days - including potty breaks only on a leash, and no going out in public. Aside from the obvious risk of pregnancy, male dogs are going to be able to smell her from 5 miles + away, and if you take her out you'll leave a trail back to your door (where they'll all spend the next weeks camping LOL).

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
thanx

Thank you for all the info...and it's true about the male dogs....they definitely have noticed around our neighbourhood...barking etc. And I am keeping her on "lock down" NO doggie park for a while :( but thanx god for our fenced yard. ;)

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Yes, a fence is a very good thing to have. But it's not foolproof - you should still take her out on a leash, or at the very least make sure you're always out there with her.

A boxer can clear a 6" privacy fence from a sitting position. Seriously, they can. And even if that's not your bitch jumping out, it can most certainly be a loose male jumping in. It's amazing the lengths they'll go to, so it pays to be aware.

gmacleod said:
Her heat will last 21-28 days, though she probably won't bleed for all of that time. It will taper off to a straw-coloured discharge.

But you'll have to keep her under lock and key for the full 28 days - including potty breaks only on a leash, and no going out in public. Aside from the obvious risk of pregnancy, male dogs are going to be able to smell her from 5 miles + away, and if you take her out you'll leave a trail back to your door (where they'll all spend the next weeks camping LOL).
WoW! I have males but I never knew it was that long I thought the heat was only while bleeding was happining and that's all. Good to know Thanks!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
LOL - no, the bleeding is just the proestrus period. The "real" heat, estrus, starts when the bleeding stops ;)

dozersmommy said:
WoW! I have males but I never knew it was that long I thought the heat was only while bleeding was happining and that's all. Good to know Thanks!

Definitely watch her in the yard--maybe keep her on lead to be safe--though it is more likely that a male would jump/break in than her breaking out! As GMAC said, males will do just about anything to get to a female in heat--so even your fenced yard isn't safe! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.