Question re Yukon/Tahoe SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Boxer Insane
This has been driving me crazy. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have a 1999 GMC Yukon. I am trying to figure out how to get the windows in the backseat to go down all the way.
There is some child safety feature and the back windows only go down about 5-6 inches! :mad:

My kids are old enough, they are not going to fall out. The dogs ride in the cargo area with a dog gate, so they won't climb out either. I don't want the safety feature!! It would be nice to put the windows down.

I have checked the owner's manual, asked the dealership, and looked at the GMC website. Nothing.

I'm convinced there is a way, because I see Suburbans and other similar SUV's driving around with the back windows down. (In fact, I almost chased down a suburban this afternoon to ask how he got the windows down. :o )

Lava Linda

Completely Boxer Crazy
I can relate!

Sorry, I haven't a clue! I just know that the back windows of my Sable are the same way, and it drives my kids crazy.smashicon In my case, they don't go down all the way, because of the shape of the door. If I saw a 99 Sable with windows all the way down, I'd chase 'em a hundred miles to find out how they did it!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

The automatic driver's window already put me through it. Darn thing, every time I wanted to roll it down just a little, I'd barely flick the button, and the stupid thing would go all the way down automatically. Then, when I WANTED it to automatically go down all the way, I'd give it a nice hard press on the button, and it would go an inch and stop when I let go. I decided my car hated me! Then.....I figured out it's supposed to work that way. A flick sends it down all the way, if you want direct control, you hold the switch down until you want the window to stop. Fortunately, my car has a sense of humor, and he's forgiven me for all the things I saidnonoicon, and all the times I whacked him on the door panel.....smashicon These days, we have a really good relationship!! :)

Sabrina Jay

Boxer Insane
I have a 1999 Tahoe...and the back windows don't go down all the way....they can't.

Look at the door....it has an *arch*....that is why.
The suburbans doors are straight, so that is why those windows will go all the way down.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Sabrina Jay
I have a 1999 Tahoe...and the back windows don't go down all the way....they can't.

Look at the door....it has an *arch*....that is why.
The suburbans doors are straight, so that is why those windows will go all the way down.

Okay, I really have no idea what you're talking about. :o
I just went out and looked at the Yukon. I have to assume you're talking about the "arch" of the wheelwell, so the window couldn't go down into the door panel??

Before we bought the Yukon, I looked at a Tahoe and Suburban side-by-side at the dealership. The only difference (and the salesman pointed this out) is the Sububurban has a longer cargo area--like 18 inches or something. Otherwise, the body and passenger areas are identical.

And Linda, I know what you mean about the auto windows. I still haven't fully figured out how the auto down works. It drives me crazy!

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I'll just have to live with the fact that we can't open the back windows. :(

Sabrina Jay

Boxer Insane
Yes, the surburbans are 18 inches longer.

The back doors are arched (looks like a side-ways arched on the door) in the Tahoe's or the Yukon's, so their windows can not go all the way down. Only in the suburbans they can.

With this design on the Tahoe/Yukon, it is not possible for the windows to go all the way down.

Linda

Boxer Insane
How irritating!!

Okay, I think I see what you're talking about. It is the wheelwell. Looking inside the door, it's more clear--the door curves inward.

Why would the idiotic dealership (and I asked more than once, different people) tell me it was a safety feature, when in fact it's simply a design "flaw"? :confused:

Oh well, live and learn!!! ;)

Sabrina Jay

Boxer Insane
With the Suburban being 18 inches longer, that allows for a different door design, which in turn, allows for the window to beable to go all the way down.

It could be looked at both ways....a *flaw* or a safety feature. :)

Also, another thing.....you are limited on the weight (I think 6500 pounds) that the Tahoes can safely *trailer*. (I'm sure its the same for the Yukons). They have shorter wheelbases.

The Suburbans (with their longer wheelbases) can tow more weight.....something we found out when look at travel trailers. Of course the trailers I was interested in, were actually too large to pull with the Tahoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.