1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about vomiting after Trifexis...

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by MrsBeeks, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsBeeks

MrsBeeks Boxer Booster

Hey there! I'm wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on whether I should re-dose Dutch for flea/heartworm/tick etc prevention.
    Dutch was due today for his 3rd round of Trifexis, so I picked it up at the vet, and gave it to him between 4-4:30pm, then I fed him shortly after that. At about 6:30pm, Dutch started to get a wee bit agitated and then vomited all over the floor.....A LOT....then about 5 minutes later, he vomited again. This is the 3rd time he has received Trifexis, but the 1st time he has had any major issue from it, however, now that I read up a bit more about it, I think I will be switching him to Revolution instead.
    Anyways, I called my vet to let them know, and they are recommending I bring him in on Monday to redose him with a different flea/heartworm etc control.....namely Sentinel. My question is.....would 2 hours not be enough time for the Trifexis to be into his system?? The Trifexis website says that if a dog vomits within an hour after taking the pill, then you should redose....but Dutch was a little more than 2 hours after.
    I want to make sure he's protected, but I also don't want to re-dose if I don't have too.
    What are your thoughts. :)

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

If he vomited 2 hours after the fact I'd be inclined to believe it's probably not an effective dosing.

Personally, if this were my dog I would do a re-dosing of JUST a heartworm preventative. Usually, at least with the ivermectin-based preventatives, it is a suuuuuper low dosage so even if you re-dosed him, he's really not getting that much of the drug; even a dog sensitive to ivermectin could still take a Heartgard without any ill effects. I don't know how prevalent fleas/ticks are in your area, but they are not even on my list of concerns which is why I wouldn't mind taking my chances on that; he may have absorbed some if it, I don't know.

Or, I'd probably just do what the vet thought best. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.