Question about Veggies and Stool on Meatloaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton'sMa

Boxer Booster
I am using the Meatloaf recipe....my boy loves it......but, I have been grating in one head of broccoli and a carrot in the mix (I also use brown rice instead of white).....but I was wondering of any other vegetables I could add to this recipe that would be safe? Are there really any harmful veggies to dogs??

Also, my boy's stool is black. Is this normal?

simmons

Boxer Insane
I have used fresh cooked sweet potatoes, squash and peas along with brocolli in my home cook meals.

I don't know about your boy's stool being black though, hopefully someone can help you with that. Sorry :(

Last edited:

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
What's in your meatloaf? Stools are going to vary, in both colour and consistency, according to what you feed. That's natural enough - what goes in determines very much what comes out. Feeding red meats produces darker stool than white meats, for example. Offal or vegetables such as spinach frequently produce stool that's near black. A high proportion of carrots in a meal has a tendancy to turn it orange LOL.

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
I have used sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, green beans, spinach, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, yellow squash, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, apples and blueberries. Avoid mushrooms and onions.

Burton'sMa

Boxer Booster
Thanks for your replies.....I just put in the red ground hamburger meat (93% lean).....beef broth, brocolli, large carrot, and green squash.....but his stool is still really dark....I read in the book that was recommended on this forum that sometimes the body has to detoxify from the bad stuff in commercial dog food...but I've been cooking for him for three weeks now.....he still has bald spots.....but not ringworm....just a few spots that are bald....very small but you can see them if you look......then he has bald patches where he has licked his legs....I am worried about him....the vet said it's probably allergies....which I know he has....it's just never been this bad......could something else be wrong? Does some type of cancer cause this problem? I am starting to get paranoid, b/c it is hard to tell if his hair is getting any better after 3 weeks....now, his ear infection (that lasted over a month with different ear meds every day from the vet).....finally went away when I began homecooking......I hope the rest comes along too.....Let me know ya'll's thoughts on this.....thanks for your time:)

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
I heard that tar like black stools can be the result of bleeding in the digestive system from any number of causes. Have you brought the stool problem up with your vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.