1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about our puppy

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by glitterdeva, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glitterdeva

glitterdeva Boxer Pal

Hello, I am new to this forum. We just got a boxer puppy 4 days ago. I had dogs when I was little, but never had to take care of it, so this is all new to me. We have 3 children, so we are all very excited about our new boy. He is 9 weeks right now 17.5 lbs. He has big paws, so we figured he will be a big boy :) We got him from a breeder, who assured us that he was de-warmed, got his shots, etc. Well, we went to the vet yesterday and found out that he has ear infection and coccidiosis and he has to get his shots all over again. Yes, it was pricy to pay for all the treatment, but whatever makes him feel better. The vet said that he is "kind of off" - she said that boxers are supposed to be very hyper, especially puppies and our boy (btw, we named him Arnold Schwarzenegger :)) is not playing and not active. I figured that it is because he is sick. Well, I got to thinking today - is he even a boxer? It doesn't matter if he is mixed or not, we are keeping our baby, but I just wanted to know. Everyone is saying that he is kind of long for a boxer. The breeder said that he is full boxer and that his dad was about 60lbs and mom 55lbs. Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys can offer some opinions based on Arnold's pictures. Thank you!!!!

Here is the gallery of Arnold that I have created:

lotusdeva's Library | Photobucket

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

He is adorable!
    I'm not an expert but I'd say he is a mix.
    My girl was 16 pounds at 8-ish weeks when we brought her home and at 2 years + now she is 52 pounds. She was a big girl and the largest of the litter by 6 pounds at that age and now she seems small in weight but tall for a female.
    Hard to say what your guy will end up weighing. I'd almost wonder if he has some rottie in him based on coloring. Hard to tell if his darker color is a reverse brindle from the pictures but I've never seen a reverse brindle with solid fawn coloring where your guy has fawn on him.
    Sorry that he isn't feeling well and hope the meds kick in soon and he is driving you crazy with all that is puppy!

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I hope Arnold is feeling better soon!

I would suspect that his is a mix. The black and tan colouring that he has, just doesn't just doesn't come in a boxer.

He very cute though and I am sure that he will be a wonderful pet! :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Definitely boxer, but with something mixed in. Both parents could have looked 100% boxer, but may have had some other breed in their genes that came out with this litter, or just this pup. But due to coloring, there is something else in him.

I can gather from the pics, that he is one amazingly adorable and well loved pup! Keep posting pics as he grows up. I'm excited to see how big he turn up and just how cute that face will develop! What a doll!!! And big raspberries on that chunky monkey belly!!!

5. glitterdeva

glitterdeva Boxer Pal

Thank you, guys! Today he is feeling so much better, barked 3 times, running around the house like crazy and startd chewing on my shoes :) Love him to pieces!!!!

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Super Boxer

His head looks ALL boxer to me but like others stated above, the coloring is off. Maybe some rottie or beagle in him.

Hope he's feeling better... Love his name...

7. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Puppies shots are administered in a series of three boosters spaced about 4 weeks apart. Usually pups come from the breeder having had only one of those sets and owners need to follow up and get the remaining shots in the series on their own. The fact that he needed to get more shots doesn't alarm me--it is entirely possible that he did have what was required for his age when he left the breeder.

8. entelekia

entelekia Super Boxer

Yep, mixed - based on the coloring. Maybe rottie as has been suggested, or Doberman?

Soooooooo cute though. :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.