1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pus-Like Discharge from Penis

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Lee, Jan 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Boxer Pal

Just recently my 4 month old furbaby has a pus-like discharge coming from his penis. I have just started cleaning the pus with a cottonball soaked in hydrogen peroxide.

Is this the right thing to do? Should I continue cleaning his "thing" for awhile to see if it stops? Or should I take the poor little bugger to the vet? Or is this normal and I should leave this well enough alone?

I've never had a male pup before and this has me a bit worried!

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

If it's just a little drop here and there, and it's not too greenish or stinky, it's a perfectly normal boy-dog thing. The peroxide really isn't necessary - just wiping with a tissue should be fine.

Julie

3. Lee

Lee Boxer Pal

Its more yellow than green...and it has a very metallic smell. It doesn't ooze pus. Since I've noticed it, wiping it once a day seems to take care of it.

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Yep, sounds normal to me. I should have mentioned, although I'm sure you know, that if there is any blood in it he should see the vet.

Julie

5. nanabear

nanabear Banned

When we got Mack, he was my first little boy. I have daughters, grand daughters and have always had female pets. I was noticing the same thing, and I was asking every male owner I ran into "is this normal?" I asked the vet each time we went, from the very first visit - he said "Just little boy stuff, leave it alone and whatever you do, don't start *cleaning* it!" It still didn't seem right to me.

On the day he was neutered, the vet called to tell me Mack was fine but "Have you noticed any discharge from his penis? He has a swollen lymph node there." I felt like yelling "SEE, I *told* you there was something wrong!"

He came home with antibiotics and has never had it again.
    Mothers know best!

6. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi Lee,
    Although it does sound like normal "little boy stuff" I would get him checked by the vet just to make sure there is no infection etc. Buddy did this as well, and yes his was normal "little boy stuff" but there is no embarrasment in going to the vet just to be sure.

7. Nakota

Nakota Boxer Booster

My Brody had this before he was neutered. Our vet said that was normal in young males before they are neutered.
    But you could take a urine sample to the vet anyway, and have it checked for urinary infection, just to be on the safe side.

On our late boxer, during his older years, he sometimes got infections there (he was neutered). My husband was instructed by our vet on how to flush the sheath with hydrogen peroxide. Rocky was so good about it.

8. Brindle Jax Dad

Brindle Jax Dad Boxer Buddy

Should he continue to have a discharge AFTER he is neutered. (Seems like there is an obvious answer to this...but my little boy has been neutered....so....not so obvious!)

9. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Many males continue to have a discharge after they're neutered. In a nutshell, when a dog gets an erection it picks up bacteria - when the penis recedes back into the sheath, the bacteria multiply (nice, warm, moist environment) and so you get a little "infection" there (infection in quotes because it's part of the normal flora and as long as it is not out of control, is not anything that the dog can't deal with on its own) and a slight discharge. Some dogs stop getting erections after they're neutered, some don't (not all of them are driven by testosterone!).

Julie

10. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Now we all know why they do their 2am cleanings! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.