1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purdy has oral surgery

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Lava Linda, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Hello everyone!

Purdy had some much needed oral surgery last Tuesday. I'm happy to say she's doing fine today, but the poor baby didn't know what hit her! She went in for a routine dental plus laser removal of excess gum tissue (gingival hyperplasia). They found a fractured root on one canine, which required removal, and a bony growth on one premolar, so that tooth had to come out too and was a very large tooth. I've sent the bony tissue in for biopsy but haven't gotten results yet. The vet thinks it's just a "bony epulis" but wants to rule out anything worse.

While Purdy was anesthetized, they clipped all her toenails and washed her ears. Her poor little tootsies were sore, just to add to her misery the next day or two. (Her post-op picture should be approved soon.) She had plenty of pain killers for 3 days and is still taking antibiotics, and one week later is almost as good as new.

It wasn't cheap, $625 all told, but she should be good to go for the next however many years I'm lucky enough to have her. She just turned 9 and is otherwise in good health and enjoying her new buddy, Theos.

My beautiful girl's breath smells so sweet now! : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.