1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puppy won't listen!

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by AllieCat, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllieCat

AllieCat Boxer Pal

My boyfriend and I have a 5 month old female. We just moved into a brand new apartment with brand new furniture. From the time we got the couch we didn't allow her to jump up (we're trying to keep it semi nice). It's been about 2 weeks now and she will NOT LISTEN. It's getting very frustrating because we know that she understands but is just completely ignoring us. Anyone have any suggestions on helping this situation? Thanks :)

2. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

She's a puppy and a Boxer, not listening is what they do well! :) You just have to be "PATIENT"
    and persistent!

3. AllieCat

AllieCat Boxer Pal

She is pretty good at that haha. We will keep at it!

4. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Now if you want to understand better what your dealing with look at a doggie IQ chart, understand that what they measure is how many times do you have to repeat a command before the dog gets it! Look at the top ten and then look for the Boxer. :)

I have one of those top ten dogs a BLK GSD and he is very very bright and very well trained he was a rescue we fostered and fell in love. But... he is a responsibility, he's like a loaded gun with the safety on... top ten is not all it's cracked up to be.

Struddell was fun to take in public she loved everybody and reduced male company to giggles and laughter! She was fun to take for walks and have people meet. Rocky not so much just not interested in meet and greet and I would always say if they asked to pet him,,,"I rather you didn't'"!

The furniture thing... dogs aren't suppose to be on the 'furniture anyway (pack leader stuff) but on this board I'm pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of Boxer fans that don't allow there Boxer buddies on the furniture!:)

You'd probably get a better response by asking what products can protect your furniture!...just saying. :)

5. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

There are a couple things I do to teach the dogs to stay off the couch.

1. Provide her with somewhere comfortable where she can lay. Encourage her to lay there and reward her any time she chooses to on her own.

2. Prevent her from getting on the couch in the first place - I interrupt or body block any time my puppy looks like she's thinking of jumping up there.

3. Inevitably when you're teaching this, they're going to find their way up there anyway - so when someone is caught on the couch, I immediately pull them off. I don't ask them to get off; it's not an option. I do say "off" as I'm getting them down, so there is a word attached to it, but it's faster to just remove them myself.

6. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

My boy has to ASK before he is allowed on any furniture.

Of course, most of the time I say yes, come on up. But the point is, its not just whenever however ... my dog doesn't get to choose ... I control the resources (google MILIF - nothing in life is free).

Have you ever taken your pup to a beginners or puppy obedience class? This may help you establish the basics. I like to say, obedience and manners are a lifestyle, not a class you take. But the class really does help you figure out HOW to have that lifestyle. Plus you may make a few new friends. :)

Have you ever researched clicker training? I'm not a fan of the clicker itself, but the method is unmistakably successful. I use a voice/sound instead of something I have to hold in my hand. That's the only difference.

Another possibility: Perhaps your consistency is being undermined by someone else in the house? Any inconsistency in the rules will negate your training. If so, don't feel alone. It's a very common occurrence. Make sure everyone in the home is following the same training rules and methods.

The biggest key is, don't train them to "do NOT do that" - instead train them "DO do this" - and reward when they get it right. That's hard sometimes. If you are training them to be non-intrusive, you have to remember to reward them when they are being invisible and quiet rather than waiting for them to break and intrude so you have to tell them NO. Even a NO is reward to a lonely or confused dog.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.