Puppy is vomiting after rice and chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zparme

Boxer Pal
Sounds like a good idea to me. I went out and got some pumpkin last night. So I should start off giving him 1/4 or so in the morning, and then just a few tablespoons throughout the rest of the day? I'll give him some this morning and hopefully we see a difference soon. Thanks for the advice.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Well our 6 month old guy, Hank, has been having the runs for about a month now as I've posted in another thread. The vet just wanted to keep putting him on antibiotics, but we felt that that wasn't the answer to our problem anymore. So we started him on a bland diet about 12 hours ago of rice and chicken recommended by another member. Just a half hour ago Hank started puking a good amount of a yellow slimy substance. This is a completely new symptom and he's only had about 2 cups of the bland diet total. Do you think he's allergic to the chicken or rice? Should I still try feeding it to him a couple of more times? Or should I switch to sweet potato and some other meat? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.

Yellow is caused by bile. The stomach will produce bile when food is expected. If they don't get the food, it will make them throw up, which is what happened. I would try feeding more often. It might help.

Also, the antibiotics that Hank has been on will have killed off all the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad. When one is on antibiotics, it is always a good idea to give some a tablespoon or so of plain natural yogurt, which will help to replace the good bacteria in the gut. Give it with every meal. Some people will give it all the time. :)

What kind of food were you feeding before? Some dogs do not deal with grain well and it might be a good idea to try a grain free diet.

You also, might try oatmeal and chicken rather than the rice as it is more easily digested, or the potato and rice that some else already suggested.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.