1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"puppy coat"???

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by beasleymom, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beasleymom

beasleymom Super Boxer

My new rescue Cali just recently turned 1 year old and I've noticed that she's shedding quite a bit recently...do Boxers have a "puppy coat" that they blow like other breeds do? I have very distinct recollection of when my black lab's coat changed from silky smooth puppy coat to a coarser, water repellent adult coat.

Cali's coat texture hasn't really changed, but she is shedding like crazy and she never really shed much before. I feed Natural Balance with Missing Link as a supplement so I wouldn't think this would be a diet-related situation.

Just curious...any insight would be great.

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Boxer do have a sort of puppy coat but I think it's usually all gone by a year of age. However, many areas are hitting a change of season right now which means increased shedding. Daily brushing or currying should help. :)

3. beasleymom

beasleymom Super Boxer

Thanks Julie...sounds like we may just have a combo of elements going on right now. I'm getting Cali acclimated to the ZOOM GROOM (Beasley just LOOOOOOOVES getting brushed) but Cali isn't too sure about it and thinks it's just another chewie toy. :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.