puppy care

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk

Boxer Pal
Well we got a male pup this past saturday and he was 6 weeks on monday. He wasn't the runt of the litter, but was the next smallest of the litter, needless to say he is small, but he has alot of heart! He is not afraid of our full grown german shepherd and has a stong personality. Now here are some porblems. Since he was so small I think he didn't get a fair helping of the food and he is kind of thin. Can I feed him more than recommended? He is going to get dewormed tomorrow so that might help. He also shakes alot like he is cold and snuggles up to us whenever he gets tired. This is sweet but when it is time for him to go to bed in his crate it makes for trouble. We have to basically get him to go to sleep next to us and then put him in the crate or he will cry out until we do this. Once he is asleep he is fine and only crys out when he needs to go outside(I am very proud of him for this). The problem with this is he does this about 5 - 6 times a night, wich I know puppies go to the bathroom alot, but it is a struggle to get him back to sleep. I don't mind getting up to take him out, but I would like to get back to sleep after I do instead of coaxing him to sleep. Letting him be while he cries does not work - he won't shut up and I don't think he understands "No" just yet. I really think he misses his litte and mother.

C

ChrisM

Our Tess was TINY when we brought her home too! She also shivered and hid under my hubby's arm for a couple of days. AND it was murder to get her to stay in her crate at night. My advice: put him in the crate awake and just let him cry it out. Otherwise, he will come to depend on you to go to sleep and you will set in stone a habit you don't care for. He will figure it out...don't worry. Here is trick that I have tried before: Get a long man's tube sock and fill with rice, tie the end in a know. Add another sock or two over that and tie off. At bedtime, heat the rice sock up in the microwave a minute or so at a time until you discover how long your microwave takes to warm it up...not HOT but cozy & warm. Put it in the crate and then lay pup next to it. I thought of this trick after using it with my client's newborn babies. Doctors and nurses always want to take baby away from Mom to "warm up"....bad, bad, bad! Baby against Mom's bare skin, a couple of towels over baby and a warm rice sock on top of the towels against babies back is just PERFECT and no separation. Anyway, I digress....try it for your pup!

------------------

Mom to:
LADY - White female, natural ears. Rainbow Bridge February 2000
TESS - Flashy Fawn female, born Dec, 1999, natural ears
ZELDA - Semi-flashy Female, natural ears, born May 31, 2000
REBEL- White with dark brindle eye patch and ear. Born 6-27-00 Natural ears

lfunk

Boxer Pal
thanks for the advice. Did you keep your crate near your bed? We moved his crate next to our bed so I can hear him when he needs to go outside. The problem with letting him cry it out is that we have waited for half an hour or so and he still didn't stop! I will definately try the sock thing though! What about a heating pad?

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
I wouldn't use a heating pad because you couldn't monitor if he is chewing on the cord or not. :( I like the sock & rice idea.

------------------
Lori
Emma - black-masked brindle girl, 04-03-00

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
I know it seems hard, you will definatley have a few sleepless nights, but your pup will get used to the routine of the crate. I wouldn't bother with "No", just consistantly ignoring him when he cries and making his crate a comfy place should do the trick. I used to feed Sumi in her crate and she really liked her crate, she would go in there on her own to just relax.

Remember that routines are good for dogs they like them, in a few weeks or days depending on his temperment, at bedtime he'll walk right into his crate without any coaxing. Boxer parents have to be strong but sometimes it's hard. I think your pup was given to you too early as well, he should have been with his mama for at least another week. I check with your vet about his weight, I'd be inclined to feed him puppy food and just the recommended amount for his current weight, his weight should naturally increase this way, you want him muscular not fatty.

Good Luck.

lfunk

Boxer Pal
Well I am going to give these things a try and let everyone know how it worked out. I really like these boards - I visit one for tropical fish alot also and have learned sooo much about my fish and aquariums in general. I can only hope to learn as much about my dog! :)

lfunk

Boxer Pal
Well I used a hot water bottle and put it under a blanket wich seemed to help. I also turned th T.V. on in the room and made sure I played with him ALOT before he went to bed. He was much better and I think the water bottle really helped! He is just sooo thin and I know he has to be cold at night.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have heard someone use this method also. ALthough I have not, so I don't know how it works.

SOmeone told me to take an old t-shirt and rub it under your arm pits and put it in the crate. It will have your smell on it and the puppy will sleep better.

Like I said I haven't tried it. I was afraid that she would go after other clothing thinking it was ok.

Has anyone else used this method?

Status
Not open for further replies.