puppy and newborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCharmed

Boxer Pal
Is it ok to get a puppy when there is a newborn in the house? I'm asking because my friend wants to get a boxer puppy or maby 2, and she has a baby thats a few months old. Would the puppies hurt the baby? I heard that boxers were good guard dogs but i dont know if they are good with babies.
Please help

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
The only real problem I see is that newborn babies and puppies both require lots of time and energy. I think it would be hard to keep up with both! Your friend might be better off waiting until the baby is a little older or adopting an older dog. But is she wants to take on both, there shouldn't be any problems as long as proper training and supervision are provided. No dog should be left unsupervised with a baby.

bethanndaniel

Boxer Pal
new born and new puppy

We adopted our first boxer when my son was 4 months old. It was quite a task. I would leave my husband in the bed and sleep on the couch beside the bassinet with my foot or hand in the box with the puppy. Every two hours Sam the puppy went out to pee and every four hours Joe my son would breast feed. THis went on for about two weeks till Sam was able wait longer periods of time before having to go potty. It was definately a labor of love. Sam and Joe are going up together and Sam is very gently with Joe. They play together all day long. It really depends on the breeder as to whether you get a boxer with a good personality. I suggest that before purchasing a dog you ask your vet for a good breeder. I live in Birmingham AL, and our breeder has excellent boxer. She really cares about protecting the breed standard and producing only the best litters. If you are interested, please post a note to me and we will see about getting in touch with her.

Thanks,
Beth Ann Daniel

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Thats what we did with Princess. My youngest was only a couple months old. If she is truly dedicated to it and understands that she has to stay on top of things with the pup then I say she should go for it. It is awsome to watch them grow up together.

Connie

AvalancheBoxer

Boxer Booster
Well, My thoughts on this are centered toward the mother, or fulltime caregiver. She has a baby that is only a few months old, is she able to give the pup the attn that it will need?
Does she have the extra time to put into a pup?
Pups and babies are both full time jobs!

As far as the puppy hurting the baby, you cant leave them alone together because puppies, just like babies, dont know what they can and cant do until you guide them in the right direction.

So, in closing, the puppy could hurt the baby if she leaves them alone together, but the baby could hurt the puppy also. Hope this helps.;)

bethanndaniel

Boxer Pal
response to AvalancheBoxer newborn and new pups

Avalacheboxer, you are completely right. No one should try to take on a puppy and a newborn if they are not dedicated to each. Yes, each takes up an incredible amount of time. However, if a person is committed to giving unselfishly to train and nurture a pup as well as a child, the outcome can be very rewarding. Our boxer Samson is our third child and he is about to become a big brother! We are about to adopt a beautiful baby girl boxer, Bella. I will keep you all posted on our happy family.

Sincerely,
Beth Ann Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.