Puppy aggression to older dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

Boxer Pal
Jones, our 3 1/2 month old, is getting very very loud and physical with his 1 year old house mate. (Brown Lab, female)

It is odd, they love eachother and miss eachother when they are apart, but when they are together, Jones gets SOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!! He growls like I have never heard, he barks, he just sounds vicious. He bites her cheek, boxes with her, he is not trying to hurt her, but I think he thinks she is a big stuffed animal. Then, the lab gets more powerful and starts to fight harder, and so on and so on. In 10 min or so, Jones is giving it all he's got, and the Lab is holding out some, but not about to back down, so is tossing my poor little Jones around like a rag doll.

Is this normal? Should I let this continue? I put a stop to it, but then 10 min later, it starts up again. Jones seems to be brave, and does not want to back down, I don't to raise a dog that is not allowed to defend himself, but this sort of play just seems too rough.

Thanks.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like normal puppy play. I am sure that the lab will put a stop to it when he has had enough.

Adelle

Boxer Insane
Sounds like normal boxer play to me. You should here my two when they play it sounds like they are killing each other. The lab should put him in his place when she has had enough. But just in case keep a close eye on them and if she is not letting your boxer know when enough is enough if you think she is not having fun then you need to intervene. If the lab is a very submissive dog she may not so you have to teach Jones the rules and perhaps have him play with other dogs who will teach him manners.

Last year we looked after a friends beagle pup who was very rough with Finnegan (who was about 5 times his size at the time) he would let the puppy constantly chew on his face and neck till it bled and was very tolerant and gentle for a dog who normally plays so rough. To the point I had to stop it sometimes as I hated to see his face and neck get tore up so much. I wouldn't worry about it too much he is just being a boxer pup :)

Jones

Boxer Pal
Thanks for the posts, makes me feel a little better. I will keep a close eye.

One possible thing is that the lab had not been spayed yet, my buddy told me that, that is one reason for the odd behavior of both dogs. The good news is the lab is due to be spayed next week. I am hoping that will fix the issue, but who knows.

I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.