Pupp potty training!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Luck

Boxer Pal
Hey guys I've recently got a female boxer 7 weeks old.. I was wondering on training to potty train her outside do i carry her out or walk her out? To me she doesnt follow me. If i dont carry her out she'll eventually pee inside or poop. Please I need suggestion.

sjtorr

Boxer Booster
Now is as good a time as any to get her used to leash and collar. Take her out to do her business, praise and treat when done. We taught ours starting at right weeks yo ting a bell to ask to go out. She picked up on it within two days!

Bad Luck

Boxer Pal
Now is as good a time as any to get her used to leash and collar. Take her out to do her business, praise and treat when done. We taught ours starting at right weeks yo ting a bell to ask to go out. She picked up on it within two days!

How did you do that? lol

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I carried the pups out for a really long time. "Taxied" them as I read somewhere. I can't remember at what point I stopped...I know I was still caring them in the mornings from the crate long after I stopped doing that during the day. They would potty on the floor every time if I walked them out on their own in the mornings....but don't take advice from me....my 6 month old Arabella has got to be the biggest pottying challenge I have ever had. She just is extremely hard to house break.....I did taxy Tyson out in the same manner, and he was house broke by 17 weeks. Like totally house broke. Arabella....no..... So I guess its true what works for one , doesn't always work for the other.

Somebody on here suggested teaching our older rescue to do the bell method. He obviously is already house broke but for arabellas benefit.... I'm seriously considering it so I am interested in how other have done it as well!!!!

Jinnytee

Super Boxer
I carried for just the first few days while Luna became settled into her new home, and accustomed to the crate. However during this time I also kept a leash on her whenever she was awake and up.... very lightweight and the handle cut off, so it couldn't snag on anything.That way she could get used to a leash, and it was useful for grabbing to stop her from getting into trouble.Within a few days she was quite happy to be gently led around by the leash, and it meant that I could choose the spot where I wanted her to potty, and make sure to always go back to the same spot, to re-enforce the habit, and being led by a leash limits the distractions on the way.
I liked her to walk herself, and we always used the same door and took the same route through the house .... I just feel that her taking the steps herself imprinted it better, but that's just my own feeling.

I didn't do the bell method as we have doors wide open all the time, except when we sleep at night. So my dogs are all 100% house trained, but have never actually learnt to ask to go outside, as they can just go !

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I carried for quite a while just because I don't want puppy to get distracted or something on the way out and stop to pee before we're outside! Much quicker and "safer" to just grab 'em and head out. At that age you save yourself a lot of time and save yourself from a lot of headaches if you don't give them time to dawdle and make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.