1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pup sporting Alice Cooper look

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Gus's Folks, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gus's Folks

Gus's Folks Boxer Buddy

We've just picked up a beautiful check (white with colored markings) boxer pup. She's a paragon of health and good behavior so far so I can fix on a relatively minor issue. Her markings include two large dark brindle patches around her eyes/head/ears. The rest of her face is white but the furrows where her eyes run are red/brown. It looks like her mascara is running or like she's imitating Alice Cooper. I've seen some earlier postings suggesting That a switch to filtered water should clear up the problem, but she's already drinking purified water. Anything I can do to clear this up at the source or to clean it up?

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Tear stains are sometimes cleared up with a switch to filtered water but they can also be just a product of too much moisture in the folds. Try drying the area with a tissue and then applying powder (like Gold Bond) twice a day. Be very careful not to get the powder in her eyes though. Applying with a Q-tip should help avoid getting it in her eyes. I use this method pretty regularly with my fawn girl because she has such deep wrinkles under her eyes and they tend to stay moist.

3. Gus's Folks

Gus's Folks Boxer Buddy

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I like your photos! They're really great. Beautiful dogs!

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Thank you! :)

5. Gus's Folks

Gus's Folks Boxer Buddy

Haven't tried your suggestion yet, but I have a question. Is the purpose of the powder to dry out the area, to kill the bacteria/yeast that causes the staining, both or something else? I looked up the ingredients of Gold Bond specifically and the active ones are menthol (anti-itch) and zinc oxide (skin protectant), so it got me wondering what was actually going on when this worked for you. Talc or something similar is the inactive one for drying obviously. I'm just trying to understand what im trying to do before I go into the med cabinet.

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

The main purpose is to keep the area dry. When my girl gets tear stains they itch a lot, she is always scratching and rubbing her eyes. So the anti-itch medication in the powder helps her. If your boxer doesn't have itching or discomfort you would probably be OK using some other type of powder that isn't medicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.