Pulling during walks - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisN

Boxer Pal
Something that worked for me that my trainer (well roxy's trainer haha) recommended was this collar that was have reg half chain. It has worked really well for us

and off topic but I love the was boxers walk their butt goes back and forth haha I tell my friends its cause roxy is a super model

Firerobin

Boxer Booster
I was blessed when I got Stryker, he's EXTREMLY melo and a perfect walker, I tried walking him on a flex leash but he never when beyond the bit of leash that's not in the handle, I normally walk him with a 6ft leather leash but sometimes I end up tripping on it because it drags on the ground so most of the time, I double it to hold it. So I guess I'm just not meant to be that lucky with Chelsea. Last week I bought a halti, I had one for my GSD but this new one is better for boxers doesn't rub in her eyes. I tried walking her with it, she's like a wild horse, jumping, trying to get it off, impossible to walk her. I don't know what to do with her.

AbbeyRoad

Boxer Booster
Give it some time and let her get used to it. Maybe let her wear it in the house for a little while before you take her on a walk. Also if you have a yard maybe have some "play time" before you take her on a walk to see if this helps her get some of her energy out.

Don't give up, it just might take a little work. Even if the first 3 days you are only putting it on her and walking her outside and back in. Soon she'll see something or catch a whiff of something that will distract her attention and she'll be on her way. Once she learns that wearing this weird things = fun time aka-walks she should be fine with it.

Maybe find a really tempting treat (like chicken) this might be enough to distract her from the fact that she is wearing it and you can coax her on her way. Just another idea.

Firerobin

Boxer Booster
By the way, all my troubles with walking Chelsea only happens when I walk the two of them together. When I take her alone, she's totally different. When the leash gets tight I stop and she automatically backs up to release the tension on the leash. But the two of them, she only thinks of fun, fun, fun. That's why I keep trying all these different gadgets. My goal is to be able to walk the two of them nicely together.

LaylaE

Boxer Buddy
Layla is a strong puller as well. Thanks for the great advice, I will try to 180 turn and see if that helps. She usually darts in the house after going potty outside and I've tried to stand still, but she pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls. She doesn't give up.

Hi From NZ

Boxer Booster
And does anyone's boxer rear up on its hind legs as well as pulling? I took Bruce to a shopping centre yesterday with the leash clipped to his car harness...NEVER again. He wanted to meet everybody and go into every store, and he just pulled and pulled and pulled to the point where half the time he was up on his hind legs and STILL trying to heave himself forward towards people. I was so embarrased because he looked frightening and uncontrollable (and i'm sure it looked like I couldn't control my own dog too). On our regular walks he's okay, but I leash him to his collar, not his harness. And he doesn't usually get as over-excited as what he did yesterday.

I figure in hindsight it was because I couldn't control him from his neck - the 'D' clip on the car harness is halfway down his back so he was able to throw all his upper body weight in the opposite direction to where I wanted him to go. I think it's time for me to get a Gentle Leader, as much as I was hoping not to have to go there...I can only just physically control him now at about 17kg, and he's getting heavier and I'm not :(

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Gentle leader makes a harness too. Clips in the front at his chest. He can't pull too much or it pinches/tightenens up around his front legs.

This harness worked for my boxer, but not my pit who lunges. I found a bungee leash for her and that seems to be working great!

Status
Not open for further replies.