1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProPlan vs Nutro

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Mommy2Cool, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mommy2Cool

Mommy2Cool Completely Boxer Crazy

My vet highly recommends ProPlan, he really likes the Purina products. Nash and our fosters seem to enjoy it ... and they look really great.

However, we are adopting a highly active 18 month old, and I feel I should have him on a large breed formula. ProPlan doesn't have one, and as his foster mom feeds Nutro, I am thinking about purchasing their large breed formula.

Any thoughts?

2. EMWAZ

EMWAZ Super Boxer

pro plan or nutro

Well we have been using nutro all natural and just went back to pro plan. I love both products and I'm sure some might disagree. The reason we went back to pro plan is it does seem to control boxer gas better.

My kittys do excellent on pro plan its their favorite.

3. CC

CC Completely Boxer Crazy

You know, I just really don't put much faith in what vets say about food. Xena had some vomiting problems recently (that were likely caused by stress) so we had her to the vet. Vet thought maybe she was sensitive to some food or treat ingredient and suggested a few foods and gave me brochures. So I started reading and one of the brands had corn in it, the other had 3 or 4 ingredients listed before the first protein source! In my opinion, these are NOT good foods for anyone, let alone someone with a sensitive/allergic tummy! (To her credit she did discuss other good foods like Wellness and Solid Gold but admitted she didn't know a lot about them. And she certainly wasn't pushy about foods that they sell at their office.)

At any rate...I believe Nutro is a FABULOUS food. Xena has thrived on it for about 9 months now and if I ever had a doubt about it, my foster boy cleared it up. When he came to stay with us a week ago, his coat was dull and rough and he smelled weird. After 1 week on Nutro, he is smooth, shiny, smells sweet AND I can't see his ribs anymore. I would suggest a gradual switch though to minimize poop problems. I had no idea what Mitch was eating before he came here so obviously I had to switch him cold turkey and we had some very runny poops for the first 4 or 5 days. We always add a tablespoon of plain yogurt which is great for the gas.

4. rowdyroxie

rowdyroxie Boxer Buddy

Hi Mommy2cool,

I read your post and wanted to share this information with you on Pro Plan. I found out not too long ago that this is new. You may have found out by now. I was actually thinking of asking my vet tonight if I should switch my older puppy (8 months) to this now. I still have her on the pro plan for puppy. Hope this helps!

You can check it out on their website also:

www.proplan.com

Scientifically formulated for large breed puppies

If your puppy will weigh over 50 lbs. at maturity, you need to make different nutritional and feeding choices while he’s a puppy.

Our Professional Growth System™, found in all Pro Plan Puppy foods, is a combination of scientifically formulated nutrition and a complete feeding program that helps your puppy grow strong and healthy. This large breed formula contains reduced levels of fat and calories to help large breed puppies grow at a normal rate for healthy bone and joint development.

We encourage you to ask your veterinarian or pet professional about Pro Plan. This scientific formula, specially created for large breed puppies, lays the nutritional groundwork for development, longevity, robust good health and an overall ability to thrive. When you feed Pro Plan®, you're taking an important step toward helping your puppy live life to the fullest.

Don’t just feed your puppy. Feed the appetite for life.™

5. Mommy2Cool

Mommy2Cool Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks RR, very helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.